Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Reverting the head commit

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by jselstad, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jselstad

jselstad

There doesn't appear to be any way to undo a commit (via Unity's interface or the web interface).

This seems like extremely basic functionality... If someone undoes a commit, the other collaborators would just sync to the previous commit as if that were the head, and it would be removed from the timelines.

Additionally, it doesn't even seem like it's possible to submit a commit from a reverted form (which would be the equivalent of undoing the commit), instead, the button is needlessly grayed out, asking that I "update" to a broken commit before I can submit a working build...

Am I horribly missing something here??

Alverik likes this.
  2. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Nope you aren't missing anything @jselstad . Collab started out as just project sharing. The revert/rollback feature is coming soon (in a Preview build) with an ETA of November :)

I'll also ping @quixotic our PM because this type of user feedback is both very valuable AND she can keep in touch for when the feature rolls out :D
    Thank you so much for the feedback, and stay tuned!

3. Alverik

Alverik

I concur with @jselstad. This is very basic, and a commonly used option... Having to relink the project with a new ID just to revert to a previous revision feels really wrong, and annoying to be honest... I just hope they get this functionality in as soon as possible.

holliebuckets likes this.
  4. Alverik

Alverik

Well, I did find a workaround. But this'll work better if you know what broke your revision. Instead of doing the whole relinking thing. All you have to do is first go back to your working revision, then make a copy of the folders or files containing your prefabs,scripts, etc (which is usually pretty light in terms of disk space stuff). Then you update and go into your OS's file explorer and replace the files with the old ones (In my case, fortunately, all I had to replace was one scene and everything went back to normal. But, I was ready to dunk the whole backup in if necessary).

If you do this, Collab will think you changed something, so it will let you commit!

But if you had tons of files changed and you don't know what was the cause, it'll be a lot more painful to know what to replace, specially if you want to save as much work from that revision as you can... being able to revert just a file or a folder will be really critical for the user experience. Else, think of the amount of work lost for the people who end up losing their whole latest revision because of a single bad file...

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who has this issue and doesn't want to go through the trouble of relinking the project (which is such a bother...).

5. gezstudios

gezstudios

Please do this fast. If an update messes ups the a project, we have to deal with loads of S***...

6. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

So I wasn't around at the time this thread started, but we do have the revert feature now and in a couple different flavors.

First, from the collab toolbar, there is a button in the window it opens that will open a collab history tab next to the services tab. This will show the history of commits with a "restore" button next to each commit.

Second, you can also look over the history of commits as well as individual assets in the developer dashboard webpage. From there you can even download copies of the asset at different versions in case you need to figure out which version started a specific problem.

I hope this helps everyone that was worried about reverts in Collab.

7. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Apologies, I just realized I made an over-generalization. The 5.6 beta builds and the 5.5 custom collab preview builds have rollback. While 5.5 does have restore buttons in the UI, we don't leave the option to make that your new head commit.

8. gezstudios

gezstudios

Yes, the restore button is only local. I would love to see that in the next updates you add reverting back to the head commit. That would save us loads of ours and tons of energy.

Plus is 5.6 betas out already? :eek:

9. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Yeah! That kind of caught me off guard too how quickly that snuck up. A co-worker had to point out I should mention the version split here rather than leaving it the way I did. So many features, and so little beta time per version.