Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Reverting Across Unity Versions

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by AdamKane, Dec 22, 2018.

1. AdamKane

AdamKane

Hello,

Given this scenario:

1. Project starts in Unity 2018.1 in October.
    2. Project is updated to Unity 2018.2 and then 2018.3 going into December.
    3. How to revert to a project version back from October (that was using Unity 2018.1).

In other words, if I'm in Unity 2018.3, I can't revert to and open a 2018.1 project. (correct?)

But... if I'm in Unity 2018.1, I can't open the 2018.3 project that needs to be reverted. (also correct?).

Seems like a catch 22?

What is the prescribed approach to revert a project via Collaborate, given that it will often need to cross minor/major Unity versions (going backwards)?

Thanks,
    Adam

P.S. In vanilla Git or SVN, I'd do the revert outside of Unity, and then open the result in the appropriate Unity version. (If I'm in Unity itself, the files will all try to be processed by the "wrong" version of Unity as soon as they come in from the revert process.)

P.P.S. I tried using the project export feature to a standard Git repo. For a 3GB repo, the process progressed slowly over two days, then failed. (Granted, it'll be many revisions of those 3GB of files.)

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Normal, you have upgraded your 2018.1 project to 2018.2 first and then to 2018.3; it's no longer a 2018.1 project.
    You can try an see what happens. :)

3. AdamKane

AdamKane

Yes, but, the idea of source control is kinda to enable "time traveling". For example, reverting the project back to any point in it's development history. Part of most any extended Unity project's history will span across a number of Unity editor update releases.

So... today the project is 2018.3, but source control should allow traveling back in time to when it had been a 2018.1 project?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not sure about source control but if you kept a copy of your project as it was before you upgraded to 2018.2, you can go back to it.

Why do you want to roll back anyway? Are you having problems?

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi Adam! Great question! While I do understand the benefits of the scenario that you described, Collab (in its current form) is still limited to only being usable while Unity is running. Meaning that, like you described, if you were to roll back to a version of the project that ran on an older version of Unity, Unity would try to reimport immediately after the revert.

The best approach at this time would be to open your project in the version of Unity that you wanted to revert to, then use Collab to revert to that commit. It does add an unnecessary reimport step when opening your latest project in the desired version of Unity, which I understand can be frustrating, especially for larger projects. There are a couple ways that this could be worked around, one of which you tried with exporting your project but it sounds like it failed during that process. Another could be to leverage the use of the Unity Hub to manage downloading your project into a specific version. We could potentially even add the option to download from specific revisions of your project via the Hub into a specific version. I'll pass these suggestions along to the team.

Going back to the project export failure, did you submit a Support Ticket about that yet? Are you still experiencing issues around it?