Search Unity

Revert button on Sprite Editor is placed in a very dangerous place

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JuanPabloCorrea, Nov 1, 2020.

1. JuanPabloCorrea

JuanPabloCorrea

Hello. I' been working at least 20 minutes rigging a 2d character only to lose all my progress because I clicked the wrong button.

If only a small warning appeared, to confirm that I really want to reverse my progress, I would be very grateful. and I would already be resting in my bed instead of writing this post.

ui.jpg

Thanks.

Xiangting_Su likes this.
  2. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Thanks Juan for reaching out! I feel you as it happened to me too. I clicked Revert and I was like this: :eek:

I'm feedbacking this to the team and see if we could support undo (Ctrl+Z) even after Revert is clicked. So ideally, even if someone presses Revert accidentally, we could still undo that change and bring back all the progress.

Else, as you mentioned, a warning might be helpful too for such a scary button. Thanks for highlighting!

3. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

@JuanPabloCorrea Interestingly, we already have this (optional) confirmation dialog modal made available in the Unity > Preferences settings under the 2D > Sprite Editor Window. :oops: Silly me for not realising this and sharing with you earlier.

Preferences.png

So if we enable that checkbox, every time we hit Revert in the Sprite Editor (in any of these Custom Outline, Custom Physics Shape, Secondary Textures module, Skinning Editor modules), we'll be greeted with this secondary confirmation dialog.

Skinning Editor (1).png

Revert Changes.png

The is the same for Apply too if we enable that checkbox in the preferences.

So the question is, would you guys prefer if we have the Sprite Editor's Apply/Revert confirmation dialogs enabled by default in the Preferences? Would that be more helpful? (It's disabled by default at the moment.)

adamgolden likes this.
  4. adamgolden

adamgolden

I'd say "Revert" confirmation be enabled by default while there's no undo - that's the scary one I've been cautious around (until seeing your tip anyway!). As for "Apply" confirmation, again.. with no undo, I think it would be appropriate to ask by default.

5. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Thank you @polemical! You made a great point there. :) We were initially worried that these confirmation dialogs would get annoying or may even break the flow of an artist but weighing a bit more, I guess it would also be just as annoying to lose any work too.

adamgolden likes this.
  6. adamgolden

adamgolden

Yes - the "apply" confirmation being enabled can get annoying, especially if you're clicking it often. Personally I like Revert confirmation enabled, Apply confirmation disabled.

Maybe the issue is that users just don't know these can be toggled at all? I'm not sure how that could be presented though.. a common approach/convention is the "Did you know?" dialog that displays a tip once, with a checkbox or button on the dialog itself to stop showing tips (and an option buried in preferences somewhere to re-enable them).

A simpler/unobtrusive approach that might fit with having these being enabled by default.. when the Apply or Revert dialog displays for the first time (at least), there's an additional line of text in the confirmation about being able to toggle display in Preferences.

7. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Yeah! These sound like highly workable solutions! Great suggestions there! :D

adamgolden likes this.