Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Reversing and Speed Ramping sprite animations on timeline...

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by drylightn, Jul 13, 2017.

1. drylightn

drylightn

Hi everyone! I'm trying to use the new Timeline editor/window in Unity to animate some sprites on the screen. For example I have a ant sprite that is a looping walk cycle. But I want it to walk so far into the scene, then turn around and back out of the scene, using the reverse walk cycle. Is there a way I can reverse the sprite animation clip in the timeline editor? Using Unity 2017.1.0f3
    thanks
    Chad

2. drylightn

drylightn

Oh and is there a way to speed ramp the speed of the sprite animation to slow it down, speed it up?

3. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @drylightn

1 - The way I think you could achieve the walk animation, is to record the character moving and once you want it to go back, simply record a rotation of 180 and record the movement of return
    here is a gif example of what I meant:
    2dwalk.gif

2 - You can speed up or slow down animations using the speed multiplayer in the inspector (when your clip is selected) or right clicking on the clip itself
    2017-07-13_9-37-52.png

4. drylightn

drylightn

Thanks for the input @thierry_unity ! However, couple of things that might complicate your suggestions:
    1. I'm using a sprite animation for the walk cycle, and then translating the sprite around the scene in unity. So what I need to happen is the ant to walk into the scene, pause, then back up/walk backwards out of the scene. He doesn't turn around. So i'd need to have the sprite animation play backwards somehow? I can't just turn him around.
    2. For the speed suggestions, that is a global thing across the clip right? What I'm looking for is a way to have my sprite animations play a normal speed, then play at double speed, then back to normal speed, and smoothly transition (as much as I can with a sprite sequence) between them.
    Hopefully that helps explain more specifically what I'm looking to do.