Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse the Timeline animation

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by flar323, May 6, 2019.

1. flar323

flar323

Hi,
    I'm new to unity timeline ,i just wanna play the timeline animation in reverse. I have a simple character forward walking animation i want the animation to play in reverse,when in press backward key.

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

That isn't built-in to timeline or the playable director, mainly because not all tracks can support it - like audio.

You can acoomplish it via script by setting the playableDirector playmode to Manual, setting the time (time -= Time.deltaTime, for example) and calling DeferredEvaluate(), but in this mode Markers and Audio won't play.

3. 5argon

5argon

It would be very handy if just the AnimationPlayableAsset (the clip) is reversible by a boolean check box on the clip! My main use is for those UI and transition animations where I want to have it close the same way it open but in reversed direction (and probably a bit faster/slower, and time stretching is already possible with this type of clip asset). This way when I update the open animation, the close animation could be updated together. I think this wouldn't be so destructive to the whole time continuity guarantee of the playable system like if we make everything reversible.

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Agreed, good suggestion @5argon, and not the first time this has been asked. I believe it is on our feature backlog. Animation Clip playback has been optimized to play forward, and so playing a clip backwards by reversing time flow is not an efficient way to play the clip. This is what happens with PingPong extrapolation currently. But having a clip that is known to play backwards would allow optimal playback as well.

5argon likes this.