Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverb question.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MikeUpchat, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

I am working on a game where you watch an object move through a world, and that world can have rooms and tunnels etc, I want to use Reverb to make the sound more interesting so for example when the object moves into a tunnel you get the nice tunnel sound, but the thing is my camera and therefore the listener is not where the object is so I can't use Reverb Zones as they use the listener position not the source position to calculate the reverb effect, so I am thinking of using a Reverb Filter attached to the moving object and having a way to define my own reverb areas which will alter the Filter values on the object. But I just want to make sure that I havent missed something obvious with Reverb Zones which would allow them to work for my case, and if not and I need to roll my own reverb zone solution how does one mix multiple reverb settings, is it just a case of averaging out the settings for whatever zones the object is in, or is there a correct way of combining reverb values.
    Mike

2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Guess I am doing something that no one else has tried :) So I will plod on with it but it would be very handy if anyone knows of a resource that describes how to mix reverb filters or if someone from the Audio department at Unity could explain how they do the transition and mixing of reverb zones that would be very helpful.

3. Shapefarm

Shapefarm

Hey Mike,
    We're using snapshots (that triggers when you go through different areas) in Unity 5 to change reverb settings etc. Works very nice! It's especially useful for the EQ and filter DPS's at disposal.

warpjunki likes this.
  4. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

Move your listener to the object your watching. It isn't stuck to the camera object. Only limit is 1 per scene and it can be anywhere.

5. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

@Chris Trueman - If you move the listener though then the volume of the sound effects will be relative to that listener and not where the player is ie the camera location?

6. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

That is how it works. Whatever object the listener is attached to will be where the sound is perceived, like a microphone.

7. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Right so it would not work for my case where the player is watching the action from a distance, it would sound very wrong to have the listener attached to the moving game object.

8. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

Sorry, had to reread your post. Didn't quite understand exactly what you were trying to achieve. Not sure how to help. What you where thinking of doing sounds like something I would have tried.

9. Explorer1

Explorer1

Hi @MikeUpchat I am trying to do exactly the same thing but with a different idea/setting and I'm struggling to find a solution. Did you get anywhere with it?

10. joe1016zw

joe1016zw

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  11. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

I did not find a solution for this and had no feedback from anyone at Unity as to a solution, it seems to me a pretty common setup having objects moving through caves etc so in reverb zones but watching from a distant viewpoint so I was a little surprised to see that there is no way to have ReverbZones work in that way. So I had to manually update a ReverbFilter on my game object and have my own version of ReverbZones that would set the values in the ReverbFilter as the main object moved.

12. Explorer1

Explorer1