Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Revenue and success on Google Play

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by TraianDraghici, Nov 8, 2020.

1. TraianDraghici

TraianDraghici

Hello everyone,
    The simple question of this topic is "how can I achieve success on Google Play?", and what I mean by success is making a decent living from games. I know, it is a hard question to answer...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Deleted User likes this.
  2. Moonjump

Moonjump

0.06 euro seems very good for USA installs. The problem is your D1, and I'm guessing your D7 is equally as problematic. You are just not keeping your users long enough to recoup the amount spent to get them.

Do you have any analytics to know if where your players get to before they leave?

TraianDraghici likes this.
  3. TraianDraghici

TraianDraghici

No, I don't have such analytics

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Moonjump has valid points.
    I think you need make game in such way, that make player want to come back and play longer.
    Engagement, replayability, hook in to play. Graphics alone won't make a cut, if your game play is crap. I would focus on improving that, if I were you. And get some basics analytics.

Still I also think, you had decent results, considering how mobile market is saturated.
    There are thousands of devs like yourself.

the_0dium and TraianDraghici like this.
  5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

If your game is highly sharable/social your organic growth should be treding upwards, acquiring users from ads is likely to make it worse not better (due to nature of users acquired through ads).

The main way you would get a positive uptick in organic growth through advertising is by spending enough to make headway on charts. We are talking at least tens of thousands of dollars for the US to make meaningful progress.

Some ideas:

- Make a game people play for longer (as per @Moonjump notes)
    - Spend a lot more
    - Try targetting smaller markets where smaller spends are more likely to make a difference (nothing that hundreds wont cut it anywhere)

6. Jmonroe

Jmonroe

I would add a video of gameplay or trailer to the google page. I didn’t see one.

TraianDraghici and Billy4184 like this.
  7. Billy4184

Billy4184

+1 for making a gameplay video, that's an absolute necessity and you shouldn't even bother with paid advertising until you have that.

Secondly, most of the screenshots are just a road and car(s). What gameplay do you have? Are there jumps, races, cop chases, competitive leaderboards? What would make someone want to keep playing and getting better at your game?

And then I see this image:

.. which falls off the other side of the horse, suggesting lots of gameplay options but not showing anything about what fun they could give me. What's the use of the horn? What is 'Sport'? What is the seatbelt button and why should I care about it? What is the stick figure button?

Even the most obvious one 'Drift' is never shown in action. What about a picture of a car sliding round a corner with '+10' text coming out of the wheels, skid marks on the ground, and 'AWESOME DRIFT!' banner across the screen?

I think the main issue with your game is that the marketing you have done on the Google Play page completely falls short of convincing people that they will receive a substantial fun experience, and possibly there is not enough of a challenge in the game itself to keep people interested. I don't know if this is the case, but it's the message I get looking at the page.

The game is quite good-looking and I think if this is fixed you will get a lot more downloads.

This might be helpful, even though it's about Steam I think there will be a lot of similarity:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  8. TraianDraghici

TraianDraghici

@Moonjump , @Antipodish , @JohnnyA , @Jmonroe you are right.
    I will try my best to improve the game's retention

@Billy4184 yeah for sure I need to improve the screenshots of the game and add a gameplay trailer

Thank you very much for all your help, you are awesome!

Billy4184 likes this.
  9. Bitszer

Bitszer

Trying to monetize a game is very difficult. There are basically three forms of monetization: ads, paid downloads, and in-app purchases. All these distract and discourage gamers. At Bitszer.com we are working to create another form of revenue. We would love your feedback on features that you would like to see. Is Bitszer something you would ever be interested in? Would you ever consider adding Bitszer to your game?

10. TraianDraghici

TraianDraghici

11. sisusisu

sisusisu

Played your game : following are my points
    1) video is missing.
    2) The screenshots are good. Can include some marketing screenshots as well.
    3)ASO seems good.
    4) It is only 2 months. Now it takes 5-6 months for google to get organic installs