Search Unity

Retrieve user demographic informations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srevid, Jan 24, 2022.

1. srevid

srevid

As part of a mobile project, I would like to retrieve user demographics (gender, age) in a transparent way, without asking for permission from a service or filling in fields. With or without using the Google AID or the Apple IDFA.
    Is this possible or do I need to ask for help from a third party service? And if so which one?
    Thanks

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Due to GDPR and various other regional legal requirements, you will have to ask for permission to gather personal data on any user. This isnt something you can avoid, its a legal requirement with harsh penalties.

Its totally possible to gather this info (which we would call user analytics as its analytics related to the user), but you (in the vast majority of cases and regions) have to ask the user for permission.

As to whether or not you have to use a 3rd party service it really depends on how you are going to collect and store this information. You can gather information using unitys analytics for example https://unity.com/products/unity-analytics

But if thats not up to scratch for you and you are not going to build your own solution to collect and store this information (which may or may not be outside your scope and budget), then yes you will need to use a 3rd party service to do this.

neginfinity and angrypenguin like this.
  3. srevid

srevid

Thanks, I'll go look in the Analytics category