Search Unity

Official Retiring the Unity Job Forums

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Buhlaine, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalSunGames

DigitalSunGames

Yes, bring back the forums!!

Mr-Logan, Rich_A and MaciejKrzykwa like this.
  2. Sonnenspeer

Sonnenspeer

Nah. Just update the connect section. It should be extended with some functions

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. steffen-itterheim

steffen-itterheim

I agree with everyone saying the new communication channel-based system is awkward and confusing to say the least. It's difficult to read and doesn't encourage communicating on a professional level, unless you go to direct messages. Direct messaging does exist, doesn't it? Haven't bothered to check.

Rich_A likes this.
  4. Rich_A

Rich_A

I'll reiterate that Unity Connect is currently useless for finding contractors to work on smaller tasks.

Right now I need to hire a particle artist to work on about $100-$200 worth of effects. Using the old forums, I could search for 'particle' or 'vfx', and browse a list of posts by freelancers, immediately indicating their availability, pricing and a preview of their portfolio. I could see their history of posts and any feedback from hirers.

Now, in Unity Connect, I click on... 'talent'? Ok, type in 'particles'... I have a list of 95 people, in no particular order, with no indication as to their availability, their price, the history. The only thing I can see is their portfolio of work, but there are already many other websites that do that, and right now I just want a snapshot of what they can do.

PLEASE bring back the Unity jobs forums! I say this as someone who is budgeted to spend up to $5,000 on contractors in various Unity disciplines in the next 6 months. Having a forum that was dedicated to freelancers familiar with Unity was of huge benefit. Its removal is a serious dent to the commercial Unity ecosystem to the extent that I think it will materially reduce my capability as a games producer.

Edit: I just saw the commercial channels section of Connect, which is also useless. Why would I want to scroll through a list of text posts, not ordered by discipline, like some kind of group chat exchange?

Unity, please bring back the forums, it might have been old tech, but it got the job done.

Zelek, Ony, CatsPawGames and 2 others like this.
  5. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Like the asset store. It takes 3 clicks to do what took 1, and it forces Java. Crazy.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Are unity going to actually fix the massive loss to the community? For developers who rely on these means for finance, there isnt much of a choice except change engine to one with an easier to access contracting community + more alive one.

That would be a shame as unity imo is the best engine out there.

Genebris and CatsPawGames like this.
  7. coolbird22

coolbird22

Quite myopic of Unity to not notice how bad Unity Connect is. Why would you replace a working thing with something that is terribly broken. Sigh !

Genebris and vivalavida like this.
  8. kauaiBlake

kauaiBlake

I have used the closed forums in the past to advertise myself and find contracts. I am just finding out now about them being closed as I have been involved in a long term contract.

Frankly I am shocked you would feel the need to remove a few simple working forums and force everyone to move to your new Unity Connect, and do it without making sure it was iterated on enough to make it useful to your development community. A large portion of your developer community made their livelihoods from contracts settled on your boards that you just closed without polishing the forced alternative.

I would hope you restore the forums until a better version of Unity Connect exists that has the features and polish that your development community needs.

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.