Search Unity

Retina Display support for Unity user interface

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Michael_Cooper, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mishaps

Mishaps

Looking forward to December....

2. tinyant

tinyant

Oh,MY EYES.
    Please release it.

3. Onurtnrkl

Onurtnrkl

Don't release it! Our eyes used to see pixels.

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I just got my first retina MBP, and it appears as clear as any other app. Was this fixed, or am I missing something?

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No retina support until Unity 5.3, so indeed you would seem to be missing something. See the link in this post, and click on the image to see it at 100% size.

--Eric

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

7. photopaul

photopaul

I really want Retina support too :)

8. Somian

Somian

well, there's still Autodesk Maya :X

9. dlv_201

dlv_201

OK, delayed again

10. Somian

Somian

is it 5.2 yet?

Oh, and I think Windows users could use it even more now. in Windows 10 you can scale UI up to 350%. OS X only supports up to 200% ;)

11. tinyant

tinyant

Again and Again and again!

12. alelepd

alelepd

Yet, now is for march 2016. My guess is late 2016 or maybe 2017. By the time it will be implemented retina displays will be even more sharper than now, so I really hope this will be future ready.

The shame here is that almost every other game engine are doing the same, not supporting retina displays. Is really painful and akward to work this way, specially when you are working for mobile, where most screens are coming in retina resolutions, so the process to get the final result is much slower.

In this arena, only a handful of 3d editors are doing it right (Maya, Cinema 4d, Blender...) and almost every 2d editor is already there.

13. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Late to the party, but I have to agree with the above, this is super frustrating. I finally got around to upgrading my MPB, and although I love it, I think I'm going to have to return it. Unity's lack of retina support amidst a sea of retina apps (Illustrator, Photoshop, Safari, the code editor in MonoDevelop) is so jarring that it gives me a crushing headache after a day of use. Last week I missed a whole day with a migraine after a 12 hour gamedev session.

What is taking so long?

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

15. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Thanks for the speedy pointer.

"OpenGL legacy backend..." who does that apply to?

Can a patch be pushed so that folks like me, that don't have an OpenGL legacy backend, can use modern hardware? Or, is this referring to legacy code inside / used-by Unity?

I'm not trying to be dramatic here... as long as the editor stays non-retina I'm stuck with 2012 tech until the update goes though :|.

16. HungryGames

HungryGames

Yeah, maybe add a checkbox in the settings to make at least the render-field work. F letters and interfaces, can live with it, we just need at least a proper resolution output.

17. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

Agree. The Game/Scene view are what important. No one cares about the three buttons that exists in the Unity UI. Adobe After Effects used this approach, they released a half working solution where only the render view is retina compatible, and everyone was happy.

18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I have been using it with my display set to scaled. The interface is small, but everything seems to be fine. Have you folks tried that?

19. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

The asset store window seems to support retina res now. I wonder why Unity haven't done the same for the scene/game view.
    Setting the screen resolution to "scaled" does not solve the problem. The only why to do it is by a third party script that sets the resolution to 2880x1800 (on Macbook pro late 2013), this way you get 1:1 pixel accurate game/scene view, but it makes the UI looks extremely small and dangerous for the eyes on the long run :/

20. Bradamante

Bradamante

I guess your only solution is to use some external screen. It's been a while since you posted this, did you return the notebook?

Isn't the Asset Store view some embedded web-browser/render thing? I guess that's why.

But yeah, funny thing. Retina support takes Unity Tech so long to implement that now Windows users are affected and the issue has grown in relevance. When did Apple start with the Retina craze? 2012? Good example for how issues can come back if you don't take them serious.

21. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Heh.. I just checked several times, and every test was a perfect 1:1. I was just about to post some screen shots when it realized that I was looking at it on my cintiq. My game window is almost always on that display. :oops: So... yea... disregard my previous comment. ;)

The asset store is essentially just a browser, presumably they are using OS native tools for that, like webkit.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They are transparent, as I posted just above: https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap "Update: Zoomable game view complete, but late found issue on dependent OpenGL legacy backend prevents making 5.3."

--Eric

23. Fr0styMatt

Fr0styMatt

Thanks Eric, didn't mean to come off so harsh this morning! I really do like working with Unity and can appreciate that they're working on getting it in.

24. Red-Rock-Games

Red-Rock-Games

Any updates? Going nearly four years now, and still no retina support

25. Red-Rock-Games

Red-Rock-Games

Apologies for my last reply, didn't see 'Editor: Retina/HDPI Support' on the roadmap. If anybody wants to know, support should be coming '5.4 March 16, 2016'

26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It's currently available in the beta, has been for a while. It's a very noticeable improvement.

27. Red-Rock-Games

Red-Rock-Games

Big shame beta is only available to pro members! :(

28. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hello Unity Team,

Accessibility, accessibility and accessibility !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am extremely anoyed as I have been trying to get to grips with Unity for many years and buying many, many thousands of dollars of assets. Now I see there is a beta 5.4 with retina Fonts, meaning I as a partially sighted person may eventually be able to read the very bad unreadable fonts in the editor. I SEE I CANNOT try out the beta as I am a personal user. Discriminating or WHAT? Not just that, but with my eye condition a dark background would be very helpful and save stress on my Stargard’t macular degeneration. But NO, you want to suck blood for that as well.

Well, how is this Font disgrace going to look in windows? Can I now then change the Font, size or even just be able to read it without it looking like a child scribbled it in?

I am somehow not expecting you to answer this as you never do. So I will have to wait until March 16th, hopefully this year and see for myself if anything changes.

Unity is a disgrace to accessibility and you should all have 20/20 vision to enjoy Unity or maybe even better.

And then if no change, I am forced to leave Unity and just do something else. Bye, bye Unity. Or maybe then not.

“I will see said the blind man”, to the deaf man who said “What?”

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's not malicious discrimination, it's simply a fact that bug reports from Pro users are far better on average. They've done open betas in the past and drowned in poor-quality reports. No company has infinite resources.

--Eric

30. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Then let’s call it Zebra version for those of us who don’t seem to have a clue but wish to participate in the growth of Unity.

Zebra users cannot comment then, but can try it out. For my sake, even if it is only limited to 4 weeks. I myself have contributed thousands to Unity asset store and have never needed to buy Unity as this is a hobby and not my job. If I start seeing, then I’ll start believing.

Thanks for your comment, it does count.

31. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Could any of you Pro 5.4Beta testers please tell me then if the font in the editor has become clear on windows or is this just a mac thing?

32. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

@Bradamante Sorry, feel off this thread. I did return the notebook. Grabbed the latest Dell XPS right after, but found the same issue, it might actually be worse.

Seeing that 5.4 beta is out and has the retina fix in, I'm actually off to the Apple store today to grab a notebook and see how it works. Really hope it helps, I do most of my gamedev on the road and really need a modern piece of hardware.

33. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

My friend has a pro version and tried it with the latest Unity beta and it doesn't work. It works on his Mac OS but not on Windows. If you are running Windows on your Mac with bootcamp, it wont work. If your running Unity on Windows hardware that supports HDPI, you are also screwed for now. Also on the road map, it says "Crisp fonts and 3D views on retina displays on OS X". So Unity is still blurry on Windows. The fix is only for Mac OS. On his computer, the texts are blurry. It looks like he is running Windows 95 application.

34. Somian

Somian

Just updated to the beta and never want to go back. It's just so good! There's still some work to be done on the Icons, but the most important things — the game/scene-viewports and fonts — are sharp!

I don't know how I managed to live without that for years. Actually, I was just considering moving to native iOS, sceneKit, etc. simply because my eyes were falling out when using the editor and I look at this stuff all the time. Compared to all other Apps on my mac pro (with 3 UHD displays running in HiDPi), Unity looked like from the middle ages.

But now you last-second saved it and i'll stick with Unity. Thanks!

35. heitorpereira

heitorpereira

Well, more than 1 year and still nothing new.
    Unity has stopped on time?

36. mushmelty

mushmelty

I guess Retina support must be tough, huh. Luckily I have an external monitor for my MBP.

37. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

38. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Could I ask is this thread for a Standalone build? Or for the Unity Editor?

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The editor. You've always been able to make whatever resolution GUI you want in a build.

--Eric

40. Olly

Olly

2016. Still waiting.

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Why? Download 5.4.

--Eric

tinyant and zombiegorilla like this.
  42. Olly

Olly

I posted that in 2014.

43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You posted it on May 31, 2016. I quote: "2016. Still waiting." My suggestion, in case it wasn't clear, was that you can download 5.4 now instead of waiting.

--Eric

tinyant likes this.
  44. minhthuan_hg

minhthuan_hg

so, retina display is only support for unity 5.x , what about unity 4.x ?

45. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unity 4.x is no longer updated. So retina support is only for 5.4+.

46. dlv_201

dlv_201

UNITY 5.4 IS OUT
    “The editor now supports Mac Retina displays (Windows HiDPI support is in the pipeline) and we’ve added a zoomable game view function (OSX & Windows)”

:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  47. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The zoomable game View is actually very nice so i can do some gigant screenshots without using the broken supersize feature of the screenshot function.

SaraCecilia likes this.
  48. Liviuss

Liviuss

Someone have issues with retina display on 5.4? My editor screen turn black very often in play mode and i have to switch "Graphic Emulation" to "No Emulation" then after a while it turn black again so i have to switch to "OpenGL ES2" again. This ping-pong is pretty annoying and if i start unity with "Open in low resolution" everything is fine.

P.S. "Open in low resolution" does not help, it not happens so often like in normal mode :/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016