Search Unity

Retina Display support for Unity user interface

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Michael_Cooper, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Michael_Cooper

Michael_Cooper

Hi all,

I recently downloaded Unity (4.3) and am using it on a 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

The Unity interface appears to be in a low-res state, all the fonts on buttons and menus are very pixelated.

Does the Unity interface support Retina? I know I had to upgrade Microsoft Office 2011 to get it to support the resolution of the display.

I have searched the forums and many people seem to be talking about Retina display support for their games - that is not what I am asking about, rather I am asking about the Unity interface itself.

Is their a setting to enable it, or does Unity not yet support the retina display?

Thanks in advance.

alttab222 and neutrino2039 like this.
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There isn't support for it.

--Eric

3. Michael_Cooper

Michael_Cooper

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully it gets implemented soon. Seems a bit strange they haven't got around to adding it yet, i'd be guessing there are quite a few mac users who would appreciate it!

alttab222 and HasanAboShally like this.
  4. thePostFuturist

thePostFuturist

I've been waiting on this for a long while. At least fix the blurry text!

Currently using an increased resolution on my Macbook just to deuglify the Editor.

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

If there is a feedback post about it, give it a vote. Create a new one if there hasn't been a post about it, I know how visually disturbing it is.

6. shaarptooth

shaarptooth

Any updates on when there will be a fix for this?

7. Next Beat Games

Next Beat Games

Please fix, unity :(

alttab222 likes this.
  8. User340

User340

9. shaarptooth

shaarptooth

10. Michael_Cooper

Michael_Cooper

Coming back to this thread after 9 months, anymore news on this front?

User340 likes this.
  11. User340

User340

Come one Unity! The editor looks blurrier than ever!

12. spinlud

spinlud

Any news for retina support in Unity?

User340 likes this.
  13. User340

User340

@Aras How's it coming?

14. Marcelo-Viana

Marcelo-Viana

I'd love to know progress on this also. This isn't going away.

User340 likes this.
  15. Aurore

Aurore

We know this is a pain, right now we're heavily focused 100% on shipping 4.6 and 5.0, while these don't have a retina editor, we will be working on this in the future.

16. Morgan

Morgan

This is big on my wish list too--I use smaller fonts (i.e. higher res display mode) on my Mac Pro (with 24" 4k display) because the retina display makes that readable--but having the text small AND blocky is a problem.

More important, though, are the 3D Scene and Game views: they don't currently show what high-DPI mobile devices show. I'd love those to be full-res even more than I want sharp UI text.

(I'm assuming Unity 5 already can build standalones that support Mac retina displays? 4.x doesn't seem to--pixels are always doubled, and the full native res is not offered in the splash-window list.)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  17. User340

User340

@Morgan: If you set the mode to CaptureDisplay in PlayerSettings, then the resolution dialog box does actually include the retina resolution. It's just annoying that the other mode doesn't support it. And windowed mode doesn't support it eaith.

18. abrown252

abrown252

So now the 4.6 release has been live for a few weeks, is there progress being made toward retina mac support, unity? There's now only 1 macbook pro on the market without retina display.

User340 likes this.
  19. mrgoonie

mrgoonie

A year went by, and still don't have retina support, my code hints get messing up and this is totally annoyed!

JimZM and User340 like this.
  20. Somian

Somian

I can't work like that :/ It's just so pixellated.

Pro software should support pro computer screens. Every app a 12 year old made in half an our using xcode interface builder has HiDPI support. I understand you're using custom platform independent Frameworks, but that doesn't change the fact that it's pixelated. And if Unity uses Unity do draw the GUI, this is not a good example of Unity's platform independency and graphics capabilities.

This product is basically made to render stuff, and it doesn't even render itself properly. :(

HiDpi macs have been out for 3 years or something. Even the iMac can be ordered with a retina display…

Unity is not the only one however. Autodesk Maya has the same problem.

JimZM, dlv_201 and User340 like this.
  21. dlv_201

dlv_201

It's Unity 5 now, and they still not repaired it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  22. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

If you informed yourself just 1 minute you would know that they are working on it but it will probably not be 5.1 or 5.2, so just wait a bit.

23. dlv_201

dlv_201

THX, at first, I apologize for my surliness. Although it's (#21) my first reply to this topic, I've been focusing on the topic for a long time and they've said it like that for a loooooooooooooong time.

24. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

It's coming 'soon'.

25. madhenry

madhenry

Really, like no explanation on why it's taking so long anywhere?

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It was "all hands on deck" to get Unity 5.0 out. But now stuff that was put on hold can be resumed.

--Eric

shkar-noori likes this.
  27. Mishaps

Mishaps

What about a stop-gap measure just get the 3D-view working in retina? This is very important for anyone working on iOS games.

User340 likes this.
  28. zero_null

zero_null

Add Retina Support Please!

alttab222 and User340 like this.
  29. Morgan

Morgan

Yes--the editor's UI text being chunky is annoying but not a huge deal--but having retina support in the 3D views (even just the Game view) would make testing for iOS so much easier! Especially when it comes to the complexities of scaling factors and canvasses and reference resolutions, but also simply to see how good a certain UI or texture looks.

Better yet, a toggle option: because sometimes we'll still want to test for desktop deployment to non-retina users. So a non-retina Game view without getting a special non-retina monitor would still be useful.

30. steego

steego

31. Mishaps

Mishaps

yea we were teased with retina screenshots on twitter two years ago as well. I wouldn't be surprised if its at least 5.2 or 5.3 before we see this...

User340 likes this.
  32. steego

steego

Haha didn't notice that :)

As 5.1 is going into the RC phase, I wouldn't expect it before 5.2 either.

User340 likes this.
  33. alelepd

alelepd

Two years from now and we still have to see how ugly and pixelated the unity UI looks on retina displays... This is just nonsense.

34. User340

User340

But on retinas there are some parts of the editor that are retina. Like popups, cursor, and other native parts.

35. alelepd

alelepd

Hahaha, ok you make my day.

36. User340

User340

:) It's better than nothing.

37. Mishaps

Mishaps

rumour is it will be in 5.2. The project window in 5.1 is retina. Here's hoping :)

38. Aurore

Aurore

It is coming, rumour has it the guy working on it only see's in pixels, more on this as it develops.

39. alelepd

alelepd

Great, I just hope it's for real this time and we don't have to wait until next big release ;)

40. CustomChaos

CustomChaos

Hey team,

Within the last 24 hours, Unity have released their Road Map which has detailed that Retina support will be out with the Unity3D 5.2 release which is due around the 8th September!

Read more here: http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap/

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well...pay attention to the color coding.

--Eric

42. CustomChaos

CustomChaos

If its not in the September release, it will be in the December release.

43. TripleDouble

TripleDouble

Yes! I hope there will be no delay. This is feature I waiting for from 2013 when I bought my macbook.

44. Mishaps

Mishaps

Happy to wait another couple of months until December if that's what it takes to get it working properly. Kudos to unity for putting out a roadmap :)

45. figbash

figbash

I see that this has been officially bumped to 5.3 in the roadmap. PLEASE reconsider doing it for 5.2, at the very least the font rendering which you showed in your twitter post! I cannot stand the thought of working 5 more months with this blurry text :(

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It would be in 5.2 if it was possible for it to be done by then. Since it's bumped to 5.3, it clearly wasn't possible. It's not a matter of someone saying "eh, let's just bump it to 5.3 for the luls."

--Eric

47. figbash

figbash

I understand and don't believe it's "for the luls", I'm just saying I feel it should be a higher priority to finish than they are giving it. Me and many others would rather they bump a different feature for 5.2 and focus on this. It honestly seems like it has been bumped for over 2 years and I feel like the Unity devs don't consider it an important feature, but for people like me with vision problems, sharp text is extremely important for a tool I use 8 hours a day. I hope I didn't come across as rude, I didn't intend to be :) I just want them to know how important this feature is!

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's not how development works, though. The feature is being implemented by a developer, and he wasn't able to get it done properly in time for 5.2. Giving it to somebody else will just make it take longer, and adding someone else won't work either, since you then have to spend time getting the person up to speed instead of just working on it (see: Brooks' Law, also, "nine women can't make a baby in a month"), assuming it's the kind of feature that would even benefit at all by having more than one dev on it. Especially at this late date, with 5.2 being well into beta. The only other option aside from bumping it to 5.3 is to delay 5.2, but that won't happen since they've moved to a time-based release schedule instead of feature-based.

--Eric

49. figbash

figbash

I'm sure we all know how development works here, I wasn't suggesting they delay anything or magically finish it tomorrow. I'm just saying, assuming the feature doesn't take the full 4-5 months to complete, it would be awesome if we could get it in 5.2.X instead of having to wait until 5.3 or beyond. It seemed like they felt they were close to finishing it and hit a snag with the game view, which I'm guessing will not take so long to fix. The gap between the two versions is a very long time, especially if 5.3 hits any delays.
    Anyway it's not worth arguing about, I was just trying to get retina support some more attention so Unity knows we want it :)

50. Mishaps

Mishaps

most users are probably on windows so pretty easy justification to bump it down the priority list. Sucks royally for us OS X users, hell I'm onto my SECOND retina laptop and they still don;t support it! Unity is the only program I know of that's got this clunky 2012 look to it....