Search Unity

Retargeting issues

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DerDicke, Sep 28, 2018.

1. DerDicke

DerDicke

I don't know how many hours I've fumbled to get one animation going from one character to the other.
    If you are lucky, it works out of the box more or less, but more often it doesn't.
    I understand that the common ground is humanoid rig, but there seem to be different humanoid rigs depending on the program they are exported from.

I made a video to show typical issues I usually have.

The drinking animation is from an animation package including the first model (from left to right). It looks good on the second, but there is a bit of foot sliding. On third model I understand body proportions are out of bounds. Is there a way to fix that?
    For the fourth model I figured she has a different bone structure (one more hip bone or something). Maybe this case could be solved by stricter Asset Store guidelines for humanoid rigs? I've to mention here that all models had to be converted to humanoid by hand. When buying the asset, you'll never know beforehand if your animations will work on the model.

Why? I mean... why creating a standard when not forceing it?

My question is: Is there a workflow for non artists to correct these errors?

EDIT: saw the usual foot sliding on second model.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  2. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

I am strugg
    I am struggling with similar issue. Have you had any luck with solving this?

3. DerDicke

DerDicke

Has been a while.
    I remember through extensive fumbling around with the skeleton I was able to reduce errors in a few cases. But I never was able to develop some kind of work flow or understand the rules. A combination of endless fumbling, acceptable error and sheer luck was all I could achieve. Basically it's hit and miss with Unity, Chars and Animations afaik.

4. Gazielle

Gazielle

I think the best way to correct this animation on the third model (without using any other software than Unity) would be to use the animation rigging package.

5. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

I don't agree since it is minimizing the effect not the cause of the issue

6. Gazielle

Gazielle

Well you still have the option of retargeting your animation on your model directly in an animation software but I don't think you can really do much more in Unity humanoid system.