Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resume-able Downloads

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by ozymandiax, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ozymandiax

ozymandiax

My connection is garbage and slow, after an hour i lost the connection and had to restart the download because unity hub doesn't support resuming.
    Obviously i didn't because i cannot guarantee that i won't lose connection again, so i am back to downloading the direct links via jdownloader.

diwang, MahdiHosseini, X28 and 2 others like this.
  2. telecaster

telecaster

same here - the progress bar just sits there with no restart or pick up.

MahdiHosseini and Raiklus like this.
  3. NutCandy

NutCandy

I am having the same issue, can we have a solution that can help us?

MahdiHosseini and Raiklus like this.
  4. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello !
    We are sorry for the inconvenience, we are aware of this issue and we will try to address it as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback.

Lightning_A likes this.
  5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Just want to add my voice to this.

I used to have DSL and it was fine but now that I am on a WISP I am having trouble getting Unity via the HUB. My connection is 8Mbps but unstable and seem to drop now and then so I've yet to get a Unity update via it. It will start downloading and then after a while it seems the connection gets dropped and then the version I chose to install disappears from the HUB and I have to start the process over again.

6. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@Leslie-Young , We are sorry to know that this feature is blocking you from downloading Unity... I will announce in this thread as soon as a fix is released.

7. Kobald-Klaus

Kobald-Klaus

same here!
    GUYS! That´s not rocket science! Use rsync into a dedicated download folder - not a new one for each download. Make a loop until all checksums match. If not start over again. And repeat automatically - why should I have to sit all night pressing that button to load over and over again.
    If you need help - that´s some scripts to put together in a few hours!

calebkpabitey and TheHgang like this.
  8. Kobald-Klaus

Kobald-Klaus

same with this:
    hub info log:
    Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND prd-lender.cdp.internal.unity3d.com
    Do not give up after one try - make a loop!
    A not working connection is a "normal" status - you cannot asume that everything goes well. Software has to be able to deal with it. It´s easy to develop: just pull the network cable or switch off wifi - then turn it on again. do that several times: if the hub can deal with it then it would be an appropriate tool!

RunninglVlan and TheHgang like this.
  9. sujakrishnar

sujakrishnar

Its been over a few months now and it still hasn't been fixed yet:(

BagaSand and TheHgang like this.
  10. asandax6

asandax6

It's 2020 and You still didn't Address the Issue I have spent the last 3 days trying to install Unity but once my connection disconnects for a second the Download disappears from Unity Hub.

calebkpabitey, BagaSand and TheHgang like this.
  11. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

Today our connection is upgraded to 10 mb/s (for the first time in history :), so I decided for the first time in history to install Unity from the Hub (to include the android support stuff), and guess what: while downloaded I lost the connection for 5 sec and unity hub stopped everything to find myself repeating the download again !!! is that a jock ?!

12. TheHgang

TheHgang

@safaGH when are u going to fix it guys
    Its not that revolutionary tech to implement that ur taking years to do

13. Lightning_A

Lightning_A

Please implement this as soon as possible!

14. menkaix

menkaix

Hello, just to add one more voice to the crowd. As it is now, Unity Installer is still a better tool to get unity, for it offers more options to mananage the downloads.
    Please, we need this feature so we don't waste our time nor the server bandwidth

15. mudakikwastory

mudakikwastory

i too really need the feuture please

16. BagaSand

BagaSand

i need to restart again and again because my connection is trash, its been a week now :(

17. IARI

IARI

I'd really like to know, whether this issue is being addressed or not.

DitiPengi likes this.
  18. IARI

IARI

Frankly I find the state of unity hub is unusable.
    Whenever i want to download unity versions on a macbook it keeps failing.
    And the most embarresing part: i cannot even see, that apparently something has gone wrong. the tile that had just displayed the download progress of the new version just vanishes - no error message, no trace that there was ever an attempt to download anything - nothing, just gone.

MahdiHosseini likes this.
  19. Padzz

Padzz

its June and its not fixed yet ...

20. darkStar27

darkStar27

@sajaGH
    Are you even working on this ?? Casue it's been over a year now and still there's no change in the hubs downloading process. Still the same crap.

You should really work on this or I would have to stop using Hub to download Unity (Its just that I find it convenient and mind numbingly irritating). I mean it works fine in my office where i have a 100 Gb/s connection but since I have been W.F.H the Wifi I have is slow like 10Mb/s tops and I have to resume it more than 30-40 time in order for it to complete.

What's more irritating is you can see all the files that are downloaded each time in the temp folder it's just that it would not pick up on them. The bandwidth also goes to waste cause i do not have a unlimited connection.

You really should think of all possible edge cases before rolling out a feature and it is a very common scenario, and not a very hard thing to include in a software.

21. Padzz

Padzz

i have 2mb/s ...its a pain in the ass to download anything from the unity hub

22. Nleovidia1514

Nleovidia1514

Well here i am having the same problem almost 1 year later since this was first reported, i've taken approximately 8 hours (still trying) in a download that could've taken 1 because unity hub doesnt work properly nor implements a simple download resumer. Please dont turn a blind eye on this even though you have for 1 year almost...

23. aymusbond

aymusbond

Why are they making downloading so difficult from Unity Hub??

24. fherbst

fherbst

@safaGH you might want to check in here again, seems a lot of people are still having trouble with downloading through Hub (original question is 2 years old now).

25. rxxdge

rxxdge

My download keeps failing because my connection keeps tripping. Just searched for a solution to find this. Seems like this is a problem Unity is not interested in solving. What a disappointment.

MahdiHosseini and vijayarun like this.
  26. Estellise-Yukihime

Estellise-Yukihime

I have downloaded Unity from Hub 3 times already and it keeps failing because of the connection. Unity doesn't seem to address this issue, they aren't even interested in it.

MahdiHosseini and vijayarun like this.
  27. sudunity12

sudunity12

same problem here, many time when net disconnect it says download failed.and have to restart download.
    i can see half downloaded file in temp.
    when net not disconnect still install progress bar still show download is in progress, never ending loop.
    force close hub, and opening it again show unity version but can't add modules in it.
    if this is happen then what is difference between downloading from hub or from installer????
    need hub to install those android modules, but it not allow even after i download from hub...

@safaGH ....

28. jt7785

jt7785

Joining in. I want to start my new project with the new version, but I simply can't.

29. codeKonami

codeKonami

Same here... I just cannot believe it. Such a bad user experience right from the start.

30. Asaioki

Asaioki

2021, still persists. See you guys back on this post in 2022, or 2023, or 2024 etc...

MahdiHosseini and Sailendu like this.
  31. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I have a fun new problem to add. Unity HUB telling me that The Android modules are installed while they are not. I went into Unity and it shows the yellow error massages in prefs window. So I checked the folders it expected to find the module files and they were either empty or not existing. Unity HUB of course thinks they are installed so I can not "reinstall" them via HUB.

Luckily this forced me to go dig around and find the json file you use to track all this. Now I can just manually download the packages via jDownloader, which can resume, and extract them according to how the json file described the locations to be. All good, I can make Android builds now :D

Would still be nice if the HUB was more resistant to network problems.

32. Sailendu

Sailendu

Unity HUB should have resume download support, I faced this issue today, please make it possible to pause download and resume later.

kahunamoore and MahdiHosseini like this.
  33. MahdiHosseini

MahdiHosseini

It's been 3 years now, when are you going to solve this mystery of pausing and resuming the download?

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    diwang and kahunamoore like this.
  34. kahunamoore

kahunamoore

Bump... please. Pretty please. Here is the part of the http spec that covers requesting byte ranges:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Range_requests

I will implement it for you if you need help. Make the pain stop. Thanks.

35. diwang

diwang

This pain still exist in 2021 despite complaint about it since 2018.

Unity can make a great game engine , but can't make downloads be able to be paused and resumed later , wow , just wow.

ridgedube7 likes this.
  36. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

One more use case where connection can drop - I'm using internet from my mobile phone at home via Wi-Fi Hotspot, and when I'm receiving a lot of network packets, my phone gets hot and Android disables Hotspot to save it from overheating - and connection drops on my computer.
    So please implement download resumer. Where is your quality of life team where we so need them?
    BTW, Unity installer has resumable downloads =D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  37. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

Alright, looks like Resumable Downloads were finally added to Unity Hub v3 which is now in Beta! =)

38. mahdiii

mahdiii

Really kidding me :/
    downloading Unity 2020.3 and then stopped in 96% because of interruption, it cannot be resumed