Search Unity

Restrict Inspector Windows to Scene Objects or Assets only?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jcman, Apr 16, 2020.

1. jcman

jcman

It would be nice if we could restrict inspector windows to properties for last selected Scene/Prefab object, and not to change when we click on an Asset in the Project window. Conversely, we should also be able to restrict an inspector window to show the last selected Asset and not switch when we click on a scene object.

Is this possible? If not, how do I put in a feature request?

This will greatly improve workflows where you need to assign some assets to fields in scene objects. It is useful to be able to inspect various Assets without losing the scene inspector focus, and it is all too easy to accidentally single-click an asset rather than dragging it (and thereby lose focus on the object you are setting up). I know you can lock an inspector window to a specific object, but that flow is clunky if you are setting up multiple objects.

2. DreamPower

DreamPower

I don't understand. You can lock the inspector window so it won't change when you click another asset just by toggling a little lock icon, isn't that exactly what you are asking for? You can add more inspector windows if you want, so you have one locked and another unlocked, or both locked on different objects.

3. jcman

jcman

Not quite. I want one inspector window to show whichever scene object I last clicked, but not change when I click on an asset. I don't want to have to click the lock on and off every time I switch scene object.

Likewise I want a separate inspector that shows the whatever asset I click on, and doesn't change when I click on a scene object.

The use case is setting up multiple scene objects assigning assets to properties, and want to browse through assets. It would be handy to have one inspector showing only scene objects, and another showing only assets.

4. DreamPower

DreamPower

I see, you are differentiating between an asset in the scene or an asset in the project, while Unity just sees them all as assets so treats them the same. Now it makes sense.