Search Unity

Resources Questions

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by cyclops1970, Sep 9, 2018.

1. cyclops1970

cyclops1970

Sorry if this is the wrong spot....

G'day everyone,

I have something setup which loads from the resources folder(line 35 in LevelGenerator)
    currentLevel = Resources.Load<Texture2D>(GameManager.manager.currentLevel.ToString());

This works fine within unity, but when I build to PC (it is a mobile game, but that isn't building properly either, so I tried PC) I am getting the following error:

NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.
    at LevelGenerator.GenerateLevel () [0x00001] in C:\My Games\BlockBash\Assets\Scripts\LevelGenerator.cs:35
    at PlayLevel.Start () [0x0003a] in C:\My Games\BlockBash\Assets\Scripts\PlayLevel.cs:73

(Filename: C:/My Games/BlockBash/Assets/Scripts/LevelGenerator.cs Line: 35)

In my build resources folder I have two files....is this correct??
    unity_default_resources
    unity_builtin_extra

Any information appreciated!

2. Havokki

Havokki

That doesn't seem to be a problem with resources. Since something is causing a NullReferenceException on that line, the problem is either GameManager, .manager or .currentLevel. Add logging to see which one of these is null.

EDIT: Though of course if GameManager.manager is a static property, then you can skip checking whether GameManager is null and focus on the values returned by .manager and .currentLevel.

3. cyclops1970

cyclops1970

OK, will look into it, thanks :)

Disregarding that though, are the files in the resources folder in a build, all compressed together? And if so, what is the name of that file?

Thanks.