Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resources on AI (specifically in team sports games)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MojopinStudios, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MojopinStudios

MojopinStudios

I am building a team sports game and have the basic mechanics in place for controlling player characters and their abilities. I have implemented passing to team mates, shooting, dribbling, etc. but I have nothing surrounding the AI. I know this will be a large part of the game but I have no expertise in it. I have followed the examples in this book, but I need something with more in depth decision making. Are there any other good resources surrounding this subject, if there are any good examples using Unity that would be great. But a talk around the AI decision making is what I'm after. Anything appreciated.

2. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

mm, I'd read some "sports tactics" books - for example football strategies, and use that as a starting point

3. MojopinStudios

MojopinStudios

Well I have a communication line with an author who has wrote a book on the tactics within the sport (Gaelic football BTW) but is there any discussions about the best way to adapt these insights from tactical notions to code and actual AI decisions?

4. goat

goat

So, first build the AI / Mechanim logic using the book you bought and then refine it. Start with Unity 4.1.5 A*Star Pro. Eventually Unity 4.2 will be available making it easier to create various sports teams.

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

If you've read and followed Matt Buckland's book correctly, then you should have already written your own steering library right?

Check out this link, it goes into some states in baseball, which might help a bit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  6. RalphTrickey

RalphTrickey