Search Unity

resources.Load() with special characters in the file name (iOS and Mac)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ChristofS, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ChristofS

ChristofS

On Windows: Unity 5.2.2 , on Mac Unity 5.2.3

I try to use resources.Load() with special characters in the file name i.e. "Set03-Löwe-02-L1".
    Works perfectly on Windows and Android. File is not found on Mac and iOs.
    I only use simple file names, no complete paths.

This happens when I hardcode the file name in the C# and when I load the filename from an UTF8-coded TextAsset. File names without special characters are loaded perfectly. I tried different encodings for the file name (i.e. UTF16) without success.

Do you have any idea?

I need to use the special characters, because the names are displayed in the UI.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    hitarthdoc1994 likes this.
  2. StarManta

StarManta

If you're unable to find a proper solution, you could work around it by writing a special-to-nonspecial "translator" and using the non-special-character names as the filenames. If needed, you can simultaneously build a dictionary (with the special as the value and the non-special as the key) so that you can use the nonspecial name to look up the special one.

FWIW, situations like this are one of a number of good reasons to separate text that's displayed in the UI (e.g. "name") from text you use internally (e.g. "ID").

3. ChristofS

ChristofS

@StarManta:Thanks for your reply and for your suggested workarounds. I use the file name to define all meta data that I need for this sprite resources. So there is only one place to update when something changes, which is less error-prone. This is a pool of resources, which changed quite often, while the project evolved.
    Yes, I will build a character translator, when there is no other solution, but I hope this is not necessary.

Does anybody know, whether Unity is basically able to handle special characters in resource file names? I don't see a reason why this works in Windows and Android and not in iOS. The resource file names are handled internally in unity so this should not depend on a operating system.

4. hitarthdoc1994

hitarthdoc1994

Thanks for the answer.

I Tried it but to my hearts contempt and it still gives me a Null Reference Exception.

My Code:

```
    public void GetFileName(string sentFileName){

_XLetterWords = Resources.Load (sentFileName) as TextAsset;

Debug.Log(_XLetterWords); // Returns Null in iOS but works in Windows and Android.
    //example file name: 3LetterWords.txt
    // Code to read File.
    }​
    ```

Thanks for the help.

5. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

As @StarManta mentioned, it's probably best to split out your filenames (implementation detail) from your GUI. But, Unix seems to have no issue itself with the filename you pasted - can you post the code snippet that you're using to load the text asset?

6. hitarthdoc1994

hitarthdoc1994

I apologise for the inconvenience caused but I had also passed the file extension as the argument.
    When you remove it the Code works.

Thanking you again

7. DevMan5000

DevMan5000

Hello people of the internet,

I struggled with this for two straight days, it has been maddening, but I found the answer and I wish to share it with you all in hopes of saving others from this madness.

/// NOTE: This next line is the savior to what has been the bane of my existance for the past couple days.
    /// Mac uses whats called the decomposed format for accented characters when dealing with filenames.
    /// This means that "sofá " (copied directly from filename in Finder) is different than "sofá"
    /// (copied from my Localization.csv). The difference is the one coped from the filename is "decomposed" and
    /// uses two characters to express the accent while the other just uses one character.
    /// If you use TextWrangler to view the pasted word, then the difference is clear. The one from the filename looks
    /// like "sofa`" with the accent in the space AFTER the a, not directly above it.
    /// This link talks about the composed / decomposed issue and its where I grabbed the string.Normalize() example from.
    /// http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ilename-character-is-considered-international
    ///
    /// NOTE: Its important NOT to normalize to the decomposed form on Windows/Android since those file systems do NOT used decomposed
    /// filenames. That is why we do the platform checking here.
    ////////////////////////////////////
    #if UNITY_IOS || UNITY_EDITOR_OSX || UNITY_STANDALONE_OSX
    filePath = filePath.Normalize(NormalizationForm.FormD);
    #endif

Hope this helps someone!

Vetaut, SkippyV, Shizola and 3 others like this.
  8. kapaakea2

kapaakea2

THANK YOU!!!! IT WORKS!!! (AND IT DID HELP SOMEONE)

Shizola likes this.
  9. Shizola

Shizola

NovoTempo likes this.
  10. RaffaeleT

RaffaeleT

Thank you DevMan5000 for sharing this information!!!

11. SkippyV

SkippyV

This saved me a ton of time. Many thanks ... hopefully reigniting the thread saves some others as well.