Search Unity

Resources.Load is 10x slower in Unity 5

Discussion in 'Android' started by iivo_k, May 27, 2015.

1. iivo_k

iivo_k

MrEsquire and Dantus like this.
  2. iivo_k

iivo_k

Bump, are you aware of the issue and is this being worked on? Do you want repro projects for Unity 4 and 5?

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Android seems to me messed up big time in Unity 5x releases, not sure why a blind eye being taken here, this probably linked to bad fps on android 5x, yet each patch release so far very small fixes..seeking some Hardcore internal fixes

Gekigengar likes this.
  4. iivo_k

iivo_k

I logged a new bug report with APKs for both Unity 4 and Unity 5, case number 701873.

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

I had a look at the issue today and noticed that the first Resources.Load has comparable performance to Unity 4.6. All subsequent calls to Resources.Loads for the same asset are significantly slower compared to Unity 4.6. I'm working on a fix for that.

@iivo_k, is this also what you are seeing or are there known cases where even the first load is significantly (let's say > 10%) slower in Unity 5?

6. iivo_k

iivo_k

We ended up manually caching all the things we load with Resources.Load in the first scene which pretty much fixes the load times, so that would seem to be consistent with your finding.

7. fishg

fishg

I have the similar problem when use Resources.LoadAsync, even use latest Unity 5.3.4p1.Resources.LoadAsync is 10x or more slower than Unity 5.2.4f1.
    But if I create a new project for test aysnc load some prefab, was't find the same problem.But it's always in our teams's project.

8. chunnomi

chunnomi

At least at Unity5.3.3f1,
    I found that the first Resources.Load of a relatively complicated prefab is too heavy on Android, but no problem on PC.
    Is this going to be fixed?