Search Unity

Official [Resources] Getting Started with Plastic SCM after Collaborate Upgrade

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by marie-unity, Feb 15, 2022.

1. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Hi everyone,

Here are links to resources to help you get started with Plastic SCM after the Collaborate upgrade.

Work in-editor with supported Unity versions
    If you are using one of the supported Unity versions below, you will be able to resume working using Plastic SCM for Unity. Supported Editor versions are the following:
    • 2019.4.32f1 or later
    • 2020.3.20f1 or later
    • 2021.1.25f1 or later
    • 2021.2.0b16 or later
    • 2022.1.0a12 or later
    Work using the Plastic SCM client for unsupported Unity versions
    If you are not using one of the supported Editor versions above, you can still use Plastic SCM’s full functionality by downloading the full Plastic SCM client.

Connecting your projects to Cloud Build after the upgrade
    Cloud Build doesn’t change its linked repository from Collaborate to Plastic SCM automatically. After the upgrade, Cloud Build will need to still be configured to use your Plastic repository.

[Video] Collaborate User's Guide to Unity for Plastic SCM
    Watch this short video tutorial to learn how to work in the Unity Editor and replicate some of your previous tasks from Collaborate in Unity Plastic SCM.

Thanks,
    The Unity Plastic SCM team

soleron likes this.
  2. IINVENCIBLE

IINVENCIBLE

this is so confusing! collaborate was easy to use, now if i check in my changes and my partnet do so aswell only one changes will be received and one will be sacrifice, this is not good, is so confusing, what is a branch ?? dudee

3. LilGames

LilGames

And what does "added and private" mean and what should I do about those files?

I think this is the very first thing newcomers to Plastic SCM will face after this migration, yet it doesn't seem to be addressed in any of the guides.

Step 1: Unity converted our projects to Plastic SCM
    Step 2: Unity editor pops up a Plastic SCM migration wizard. I click Migrate.
    Step 3: Migration completes and the button is replaced with a button to open Plastic SCM window
    Step 4: The Plastic SCM window shows a bunch of changed files (looks familiar to people used to Collaborate) and then below that is a bunch of unchecked files under "Added and private"
    Step 5: ??? Please explain what we are seeing here, and WHAT SHOULD WE DO. I don't know if the norm is to just check them all and check them in or what. I see .vscode among there. Somehow I doubt that should be uploaded to Cloud Build, but how am I to know as a newbie to this system?

Also, I'd like to get back to work! Unity really should have scheduled the migration with customers choosing dates ahead of time, at least for its paying customers. :(

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  4. CoreyJG

CoreyJG

I, too, would like some detail on the "added and private" thing. I'm not sure if I borked my team's project (see next paragraph), but I had seen that the manifest.json file was in the "added and private" section, and in my first commit to Plastic after our migration, I included all the "added and private" files. When my team members later booted up the project for the first time after the merger ran into a myriad of issues after downloading my changes, with errors that their manifest files could not be found.

The reason I think I probably didn't bork them is that when they deleted the project and downloaded it again, everything was back to normal for them. But still, I would like some clarification on the "added and private." Can they be added without concern? Any best practices regarding them? Any files to look out for?

5. soleron

soleron

This is exactly how Collaborate worked AND you had no idea what the differences were.

With Plastic you can know for sure by comparing the files and choosing which one to keep.

You can even select a particular change and inject it into the other file.

6. soleron

soleron

These are files that exist only on your workspace.
    Or simply put, only on your machine.

These in my case were some files that I had not yet chosen to upload before the migration, and some files that are local, editor specific. i.e where you want your shadergraph window to appear on the screen based on the last time you had it open. (or simply the default position) In the past these files were invisible to us.

These files are not "Controlled" that is Plastic does not check or care about their version. In the past And, for the most part, neither should you. Unless they are some assets that you would like to include to a changeset and keep track of them.

In which case, simply click on that check next to the files you want and add them to the controlled changes pack.

LilGames likes this.
  7. LilGames

LilGames

@marie-unity
    My project had a conflict. I clicked "Resolve conflicts". It did not prompt me to choose which files I wanted as the "correct" file. It just did something automatically. This is kinda dangerous given how under the Collaborate paradigm we had to choose between Mine / Theirs / Diff. I don't know how the Plastic plugin decided for me. Can you give some insight on this?

8. soleron

soleron

They should provide this information in their documentation.

I have encountered both situations.
    So I assume, in general it merges everything it can merge keeping both, or asks you which to keep when it can't merge. i.e in the case of art assets.

I have found a couple of posts about merging,

https://blog.plasticscm.com/2019/03/split-merge-conflicts-blocks.html
    https://blog.plasticscm.com/2016/12/driving-pita-merge-conflict-to-release.html

And here explaining their MergeMachine feature.
    https://www.plasticscm.com/mergemachine/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  9. playholding

playholding

@marie-unity We have an issue at our company with plastic scm using the versions 2020.3.30f. or the latest 2021 lts version. we cannot download a project form cloud or push changes from our ongoing projects. Connection rest by peer errors.
    Unity is not responding when we do a change on the scene.

10. tedthebug

tedthebug

Hi,
    I'm pretty confused. At the start of the post it says that PlasticSCM works with
    • 2020.3.20f1 or later
    I'm using 2020.3.5f1 which if I understand numbering correctly is after the above version yet I only have Collaborate as an option when I open Unity & I can't find any way to connect to plastic scm. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

11. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi tedthebug, not sure if I'm missing something but 2020.3.5f1 is older than 2020.3.20f1 and you may need to upgrade to use the plugin.

12. calliejohnson

calliejohnson

Yes, I agree with the calosalba1985 that the 2020.3.5f1 is older than 2020.3.20f1 and you may need to upgrade to use the plugin I am pretty sure that you also agree with me.

13. LilGames

LilGames