Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Resources folder

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bluestrike, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

How does it work? Resources added to the resources folder are included when building the game.
    But my .txt files do not show up in the resources folder when I build the game.
    Did they get encrypted/packed?

How do I prevent the cypting/packaging, or is there another way to add extra files to the game during the build process?

I have a mapcycle.txt file that I want players to be able to modify out of the game.
    I would also be able to sync it to the cloud and can't do that when its packed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Dantus

Dantus

Everything that is bundled by Unity should stay untouched. Otherwise you may end up in a huge disaster.

What is the target platform?

3. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

pc/Linux/osx

I have the txt load as an external resource.
    • var sMapCycleTXT : String = Application.dataPath + "/mapcycle.txt";

I got tired of copy pasting it to the game folder after building the game ( or forget to do it ), so I was looking for an automated way of doing this and tought adding it to the resources folder would do the trick.
    • var sMapCycleTXT : String = Application.dataPath + "/Resources/mapcycle.txt";

4. Dantus

Dantus

How about changing the logic as follows:
    - Check whether Application.dataPath + "/mapcycle.txt" exists
    -> If not, load the default one (doesn't necessarily need to be in the resource folder)
    -> Otherwise, use it

- Save changes to Application.dataPath + "/mapcycle.txt"

5. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

That should work.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, everything in the Resources folder is bundled into a file. The Resources folder does not exist as such in a build.

--Eric

unityunity