Search Unity

Resource Blocked when Installing Post Processing Package?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by TheGameNewBie, Feb 12, 2020.

1. TheGameNewBie

TheGameNewBie

I'm using the Universal Render Pipeline in my current project.
    Whenever I try to install the Post Processing Package through Package Manager, It gives me an error saying,

'EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open "ProjectPath/Library/PackageCache/.tmp......./copy\postprocessing\Textures\LensDirt\LensDirt00.png"

There isn't any other application which is using the file at that moment.
    Also, I tried going to the path in explorer, and there isn't any folder named ".tmp.......", even with Hidden Files shown.
    I'm having this issue since I upgraded to the 2019 version of Unity.

2. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @TheGameNewBie,

The
    .tmp
    directory is a temporary directory created by Package Manager while we copy files to the cache, it gets deleted as soon as the copy is complete. We have seen issues like this before where another process within the Unity editor is keeping track of files in your Project/Library folder and attempts to read the file while it is being written by Package Manager causing the EBUSY error. Could you copy the whole error message that you see in the console so we can identify where it's coming from? Or is that all the error message you're given?

3. TheGameNewBie

TheGameNewBie

I re-installed Unity and It works now. I can import the Post Processing Package.
    Well, I got a total of 4 error messages.
    Sorry, I don't have any way of reproducing them now.
    Thanks for the reply though.

4. Drakorian-Labs

Drakorian-Labs

Hi,
    i'm having lots of these errors and i cannot upgrade any package.
    the LWRP is particularly critical for me, i have these errors:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Cannot perform upm operation: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Dev\SpaceFox\Library\PackageCache\.tmp21748DGxqJlpR8RFG\copy\InputSystem\NativeInputRuntime.cs' [NotFound]
    3. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    and
    Code (csharp):
    2. Cannot perform upm operation: Unable to add package [com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight@7.2.1]:
    3.   One or more dependencies could not be added to the local file system:
    4.     com.unity.postprocessing: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Dev\SpaceFox\Library\PackageCache\.tmp21748JZxhnF49luE5\copy\PostProcessing\Editor\Tools\DefineSetter.cs'
    5.     com.unity.render-pipelines.core: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Dev\SpaceFox\Library\PackageCache\.tmp2174897SqhwAdEqfo\copy\Editor\InspectorCurveEditor.cs'
    6.     com.unity.render-pipelines.universal: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Dev\SpaceFox\Library\PackageCache\.tmp21748IFm6d1FtW0vF\copy\Runtime\ScriptableRendererData.cs'
    7.     com.unity.shadergraph: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Dev\SpaceFox\Library\PackageCache\.tmp21748rvJVGN96lQ2t\copy\Editor\Data\Graphs\GraphData.cs' [NotFound]
    8. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

5. siriusx

siriusx

The solution for me if anyone stumbles upon this later was to make sure my IDE was closed as it had a lock on all files in Unity folder somehow

6. franmrt

franmrt

Thanks, that worked for me

7. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah that is good to know @siriusx, thanks for sharing. We think this issue may sometimes be caused by Unity's script compilation pipeline (the Asset Pipeline team are looking into this) but it is great to have another avenue to investigate and a workaround to recommend :)

VictoryPlayerUmer likes this.
  8. swordmage

swordmage

I had the same error for many times before, though I still had no idea why this occur, my solution is to disable the anti-virus monitor temporarily while installing package

Cenda likes this.
  9. unayozan

unayozan

Got the same error, the workaround worked fine.

Closing down the IDE is enough.

10. Extelen1

Extelen1

Yes, that works for me, thanks!

hunter-baun and Kabeza like this.
  11. Armegalo

Armegalo

Yup, closed down VS Code and suddenly everyone is playing ball again :)

12. Cenda

Cenda

Turn off Windows Defender (Real-time protection) is working for me.

DarkenedShade likes this.
  13. nazarre

nazarre

I'm getting this error when trying to install various packages. I've turned off Windows Defender, reinstalled Unity, closed the IDE -- nothing works. Here are the error messages to the console. Any suggestions?

Cannot perform upm operation: Unable to add package [com.unity.progrids@3.0.3-preview.6]:
    One or more dependencies could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.settings-manager: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, rename 'C:\Users\nazarre\Dropbox\_Game\repos\NetworkTutorial\Library\PackageCache\.tmp2392Vbx2YFUnFtSK\copy' -> 'C:\Users\nazarre\Dropbox\_Game\repos\NetworkTutorial\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.settings-manager@1.0.2' [NotFound].See console for more details
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Error adding package: com.unity.progrids@3.0.3-preview.6.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

EnlightenmentGames likes this.
  14. nazarre

nazarre

I've solved the issue -- dropbox was syncing and would lock the folder. I paused dropbox syncing, loaded required assets, unpaused dropbox and everything is working fine.

EnlightenmentGames likes this.
  15. GoStudios_

GoStudios_

i have the same error

and i read all of reply and i found to close the IDE is enough @unayozan

so what is closing down IDE and how can i do this to prevent this error to appear when i install a package
    and i installed cinemachine and that error came one time but not on second try
    but when i tryed to install probuilder the error came but every time i try it appears again and again what should i do

plzz reply as soon as you can :(

16. visrwill

visrwill

IDE = Visual Studio (Community or Code), Rider, MonoDevelop etc. Whatever you edit your code files with.

17. flippi273

flippi273

Had this same error, but when installing the Input System. Closing my IDE, Visual Studio Code, fix it as well.

De_sha likes this.
  18. ThompZon

ThompZon

When upgrading from 2020.3.2 -> 2021.1.3 I got this issue, solved by closing VSCode.

Code (Boo):
    1. [Package Manager] Done resolving packages in 10.98s seconds
    2. An error occurred while resolving packages:
    3.   One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:
    4.     com.unity.render-pipelines.core: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Users\ThompZon\Unity\XXX\Library\PackageCache\.tmp18312Tdg0pp7Ap3OC\copy\Runtime\Common\IVirtualTexturingEnabledRenderPipeline.cs'
    5.     com.unity.render-pipelines.universal: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Users\ThompZon\Unity\XXX\Library\PackageCache\.tmp18312P168CFt6sc18\copy\Runtime\ScriptableRenderer.cs'
    6.     com.unity.shadergraph: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Users\ThompZon\Unity\XXX\Library\PackageCache\.tmp18312v0suePVu4A5J\copy\Editor\Generation\Controls.cs'
    8. A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/ThompZon/Unity/XXX/Packages/manifest.json file.
    10. Exiting without the bug reporter. Application will terminate with return code 1

KVTeja_512 and xucian like this.
  19. RaghuvanshAgarwal

RaghuvanshAgarwal

It worked for me thanks

20. Bluegru

Bluegru

Thank you very much,
    this fixed the problem for me

21. ZigZagZat

ZigZagZat

Using some of the experimental features when installing git caused the issue for me

Ijin likes this.
  22. Ijin

Ijin

Thank you! It fixed my problem with adding packages from git repositories (via Package Manager window and manifest.json). Problematic option in Git for Windows installer was experimental built-in file system watcher https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/discussions/3251

develmusa likes this.
  23. Naver78

Naver78

I had the same issue, 2021 now, and reinstalling unity and turning off the windows defender helped. I also instaled the urp before installing Post processing.

24. triangle4studios

triangle4studios

Correct Answer

Studio923 likes this.
  25. zodok

zodok

close your code editor and redo it

26. vigneshhbk

vigneshhbk

Thank you for this!

27. xucian

xucian

YES

28. PinguinoSod

PinguinoSod

Closing VS Code worked for me

KVTeja_512 and xucian like this.
  29. Studio923

Studio923

Worked for me in 2022

30. Nutaaq

Nutaaq

In my case, this issue came after moving my project using Git to a new laptop. I was using this .gitignore. Git never took part on the issue. (Just in case someone suspected on git).

IDE was never opened on this laptop either.

Disabling Real-time Protection on Windows defender worked
    for me on 2020.3.12f1 and Windows 10.

adryyy and MadsRonnow like this.
  31. AnonymousForest

AnonymousForest

I love you. Thanks!

32. scottdev333

scottdev333

Thanks so much for this! Something like this should probably make shutting down IDE as a pre-requisite for any package being installed. Problem solved and would save way more hassle and time than one would lose by having to do so.

33. aecanales

aecanales

This was my issue too, thanks for sharing! The "quick and dirty" way I solved it was by moving the .git folder outside of my Unity project folder and then moving it back in.

34. KermenTheFrog

KermenTheFrog

Had gone through trying everything listed here but nothing would work. Ended up being Microsoft power toys. Closing it fixed the problem. Saw the solution on Reddit. hopefully this helps someone

35. Edzard

Edzard

This worked like a charm for me! Closing Powertoys automatically solved the issue, didn't even need to restart Unity.

asthakapila94 likes this.
  36. KyooSik

KyooSik

Wow this worked for me also.... Thank you so much

asthakapila94 likes this.
  37. fatheadx

fatheadx

SOLUTION!!!

38. unity_596068D8C89A965DD854

unity_596068D8C89A965DD854

Thank you so much.