Search Unity

Resonance audio package deprecated?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by atomicjoe, Dec 16, 2019.

1. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The resonance audio package states it's deprecated and will be removed on Unity 2020.1
    So we will not have a cross platform spatializer now?
    Why? were can I have more info about this?
    That's non-sense.

2. id0

id0

You can still use version from github. But last update was two years ago. I believe that's the reason. Unity have no other good audio spatialize system with sound occlusion, so I still use it, and it's working.

3. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I checked the github version but was unable to actually compile it for Unity 2019.3
    Have you been able to compile it or are you just using the pre-made unity package?
    I worry about compatibility accross platforms, that's why I was glad Unity included Resonance Audio as an officially supported package, but now I don't know what to do...

4. id0

id0

I have been using resonance for a long time, even the package manager does not exist. Just let unitypackage add scripts to your project. But, as I said - no updates for 2 years, and no guarantees that this will not break in the future.

5. Agoxandr

Agoxandr

I use modified version of Steam Audio that I made. You have to make some changes to make it work with IL2CPP.

atomicjoe likes this.
  6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Could you elaborate on the needed changes? I may end up using Steam Audio too.

7. Agoxandr

Agoxandr

My post is very old and steam audio got new releases. As far as I know its completly broken right now. Don't use it. Microsoft has a spatial audio solution that was used in the new gears game and its seems to actually work.

Edit: Took me some time to find but it's called project acoustics.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    kangsangyeon and atomicjoe like this.
  8. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Thanks for the info!
    I actually checked microsoft's audio thing before and it looks quite impressive, but baking must be done using Azure servers and compatibility seems limited. Also the source code is not completely open, so compiling it for other platforms than the officially supported will be impossible.
    I think I'll stick to Resonance Audio for the time being, since it's the only virtualizer with a complete open source and I should be able to compile it for other platforms than the officially supported. (even if it's not easy at all)

Unity should REALLY support Resonance Audio, otherwise we are doomed to either poor 3D audio or completely different audio for different platforms...

9. joshcamas

joshcamas

This is definitely a big hole in Unity, for sure. But my guess is it will be years before unity even thinks about touching it, since they have no interest in adding features to the current audio system, and the dots audio system will take years before completion.

10. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

They just need to support Resonance Audio integration with Unity. Not really a big deal, since the plugin is already done and is already running on Unity!