Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Resolve inconsistencies between different XR plugins

Discussion in 'VR' started by jamie_xr, Jan 7, 2022.

1. jamie_xr

jamie_xr

I've been testing things between different XR plugins - mostly OpenXR and Oculus.

Now that the Oculus XR plugin uses OpenXR as it's backend in version 3 (still in preview), I was expecting to see some things converge, but that has not yet happened.

The biggest notable difference:
    Open XR provides 2 "poses": a "grip" pose and an "aim" pose. In the input system these are represented as devicePosition & pointerPosition.

However with Oculus we only get devicePosition (The "grip" pose). And that position actually appears to be the forward pointing position that I'd associate with the pointerPosition (The "aim" pose). Using Oculus the
    pointerPosition returns 0,0,0.

To mitigate this developers would need to write plugin specific code which goes against the philosophy of the XR Plugin framework, and having a unified API. It leads to having custom offsets, and code that remaps input actions in things such as the InputSystemUIInputModule.

If this concept of having 2 poses for each hand to represent different parts of the controller is the direction, I'd suggest it needs to exist in each plugin. I think a pose representing each part of the controller is a great idea though, negating the need to reposition objects for each device to amp to the "pointer" and the "grip" of the controller.

Is this in the roadmap? I've not seen anybody else talk about this?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

You can submit is as an idea on the XR roadmaps, but I highly recommend making a bug report about this!

3. colinleet

colinleet

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    jamie_xr likes this.
  4. jamie_xr

jamie_xr

Yeah I'm watching that thread also, So the result is, it's not happening ? We have to resolve offsets manually, and Oculus is gonna keep a single pose?

5. colinleet

colinleet

Yup I think so. The vibe I got was the two error messages were a bug that should be addressed by either unity or Oculus eventually (only if they can reproduce it), but the bugs are without consequence, so just ignore them for now.