Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question Resizing a capsule collider at runtime

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by cranky, Apr 2, 2020.

1. cranky

cranky

Hey guys,

I am working on character controllers in ECS and currently implementing crouching. I would like to resize the collider, but I am not seeing being able to do so, aside from creating a new collider every frame the crouch state is animating. Is this really the only option? Thanks!

2. petarmHavok

petarmHavok

Yeah, unfortunately there is not option other than to set a new collider. But a small optimization might be to store 2 colliders, original one and the crouching one, and then just switch between them. That way you won't need to instantiate it every frame...

3. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

If the collider is a simple one, e.g. a capsule collider, you can tweak the underlying geometry. Check out the 5b. Change Collider Size in the samples. The associated script will act as a reference.
    @petarmHavok's suggestion is the most generic approach though.

4. cranky

cranky

Looks very promising, thank you!

5. federicojurjo

federicojurjo

Hi, maybe this will help other people with the same question.

A difference box collider, capsule collider has the possibility of modifying the radius and height.

the code to access this is:

Attached Files:

6. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

This has nothing to do with Unity Physics. Your suggestion isn’t helpful here.

Kmsxkuse likes this.