Search Unity

Games Resistor - A Sci-fi tank action game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FoolishGamer, Nov 13, 2018.

1. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

All,

I am working on a 3d sci-fi tank arcade game called Resistor. I am about a month into it and would like to get some initial feedback on it.

At this point I have some basic game play, models, and effects. I anticipate improving on them in subsequent iterations. In fact, if there are any modellers out there looking to join a small scale project, I would be happy to discuss.

My goal for the game is to create a single player experience that emphasizes blowing a lot of things up, customizing and upgrading your tank, and facing environments and enemies that get more and more interesting and unexpected as you progress. Of course, the biggest implicit goal is to finish ;)

The setting/story is that it is 1989, and you are a new virtual tank commander that fights through "VR" representations of computer systems. In this case, the Soviets have an out of control system that is threatening to launch WWIII.

The player will gain resources as they progress through levels. Resource points (to be represented as RAM and CPU) will give the player access to bigger and better tank components and special abilities.

1112-1.png

1112-2.png

1112-3-cropped.png

1112-5-narrow2.png

I have some game play video at:

I am at a point where I would welcome any feedback or suggestions people might have. I hope to have a playable demo in the near future.

dKd, EVECTOR and JFI66 like this.
  2. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

3. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

People who play shooters demand hi-end graphics. Your game looks like a more colorful Battlezone from 1980.

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

While I disagree with the simplicity, I agree with the sentiment in this case.

There are lots of old-school gamers who like the clean crisp look and your effects look really cool. Just... basic, some more dynamic graphics will dramatically increase fidelity without changing the overall look. Of course, graphics should be one of the last things you focus on. I'm talking effects like reflective floors, maybe when there is an explosion, the grid around the explosion reacts to it, and ripples. Maybe have little lights zipping around the grid, like electricity running through a computer....

RavenOfCode likes this.
  5. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

Thanks for this outstanding feedback. I agree there is more work to do to improve the graphics. In fact I was planning on doing exactly what you are suggesting in subsequent iterations. This is a good confirmation of the steps I plan on taking.

newjerseyrunner likes this.
  6. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. I agree and will elaborate on the look in future iterations.

7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I love when suggestions fall in line with the preexisting plan.

8. B_A

B_A

Hey there! That's a neat little project you've got so far. I really like the 80s/Tron feel you've got. It's true everybody likes blowing things up. ;)

From watching the video, I thought of a few things:

1. Does destroying enemy tanks reward the player with resources or points? Or are resources only rewarded after finishing a level?
    2. Are there infinite enemies until you reach the end of level? Or is the player gated in a section until they have destroyed all the enemies in that area?
    3. Are the levels timed at all?
    4. What happens at the boundaries of the play space? Is there a wall? Or will the player fall off? It could be interesting to use both. In the earlier levels there could be a boundary wall. As the levels progress, you could start removing boundary walls to increase difficulty. You could also include desttuctible boundary walls as in intermediary between walls and no walls.
    5. Adding in some environmental traps for the player to use would be fun too. (ex. Explosive items) It could also make it more dangerous for the player as they move through the level too. So they would have to be more cautious.
    6. How does player health work? 1 shot you're dead? Or is there a health bar?

That's all I've got for now.
    I hope that is helpful.

Cheers!

9. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

Thanks for taking the time to comment. The intent is to do the following:
    1. There are going to be two different resource points. Memory and CPU. Destroying enemy tanks, turrets, etc. will provide resource points (memory) that can be used to upgrade the tank. Achieving objectives and doing so as quickly as possible provides CPU points. These resource points can be used to improve the performance of the tank and add special abilities. I haven't added those yet.
    2. I am still playing around with this. Right now enemies will continue to spawn until the spawn points are destroyed and the phase gate is open. I am trying to create an interesting choice for the player between what kind of resources to emphasize.
    3. Levels are timed. and the "CPU resource" is awarded based on time.
    4. Right now I am using both to experiment with it. I agree with your suggestions and plan on incorporating them.
    5. Agreed.
    6. Right now health is just a single value I have for the tank overall. There will be a health bar or equivalent that is added. Players will be able to restore health with power ups within the level or through resource points.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your time.

B_A likes this.
  10. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

If the gameplay was fun, I'd play this game regardless of its graphics (personally I like them). That said, from the trailer of the game I'd probably pass it over. The reason being it looks way to slow paced and lacks a high skill cap. Shooters shine in their combat, and this combat loop looks quite boring.

My main suggestions would be:
    -Add more kick to that gun (screenshake works wonders)
    -Increase the speed of the gameplay, being able to use the tanks driving mechanics for parkour would be really cool. Especially if you can shoot while doing it.

Obviously you don't need to follow this path exactly as it's just a recommendation, but I would recommend changing something up.

11. dKd

dKd

Hey,

Great looking prototype game you've got there!
    I'm a real sucker for Tron style visuals so no complaints there.

Here are some of my thoughts :

Gfx :
    - I would ditch the fire and smoke explosions when tanks are destroyed, maybe put more of an electrical disintegration effect on it, something that fits more the electronic "Tron" environment.
    - If time permits, the skybox should contain backgrounds that fit the environment as well.

Gameplay :
    - In the long run, players would probably benefit from a little radar in one of the corners - up to you how much intelligence you show the player (enemy tanks, generators, turrets, projectiles, level with fog of war...)

- It's not clear how you will differentiate between memory & cpu resources. What's the difference between upgrading the tank and improving the tank?

Hope you keep working on it!

Greets,
    Dirk.