Search Unity

Reselect prefab when editor play mode exits?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Botaurus, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Botaurus

Botaurus

I spend 80% of my time in Unity editing a prefab in the prefab editor and pressing 'play' to view it in action. When I press play, the prefab is deselected and I have to double click it again to enter the editor when play mode exits. Would be nice if the editor remembered that I was in a prefab editor window.
    If there is a solution to this issue, let me know,
    thanks!

2. runevision

runevision

The editor shouldn't exit Prefab Mode when going in Play Mode except if a script on the Prefab has an ExecuteInEditMode attribute, and in that case you would get a dialog.

But you also say "select" and "deselect" which is different from entering/exiting Prefab Mode. This makes me unsure of what you mean. Could you post a video showing what you're talking about?

3. Botaurus

Botaurus

thanks for the help! I'm on Unity 2018 (maybe this is different in 2019?)
    in the gif below, you can see I'm in a prefab view. Then when I press play/stop, I am no longer in a prefab and I need to re-enter the prefab view.
    prefabWorkflow.gif

4. runevision

runevision

What is the exact version of 2018 you're using? Does it still happen in Unity 2018.4.15? If so, can you please file a bug report, so we can investigate. Thanks!

5. Botaurus

Botaurus

2018.4.12f1. We will try to upgrade and see if that fixes the issue,
    thank you

6. Botaurus

Botaurus

ah ok, there *was* a component on the prefab with [ExecuteInEditMode], however, I do not get a warning. When I remove the [ExecuteInEditMode], it works fine