Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Requirement to have a Unity Forum Thread for each Unity Asset

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by RendCycle, Sep 9, 2018.

1. RendCycle

RendCycle

(I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this so please feel free to move this if necessary.)

To provide more transparency and easier access to general topics/discussions related to Unity Assets available in the Unity Asset Store, I suggest making it a requirement for each Asset to have a Unity Forum Thread. In addition, I suggest having this requirement included in a New Dynamic Rating System for the Unity Asset Store that I've posted as an idea here for people to hopefully further develop and/or vote on.

Thanks for reading! :)

2. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager Unity Technologies

I've reached out to a few people from the Asset Store team to see if they can share their thoughts here. Stay tuned!

RendCycle, Mauri and infinitypbr like this.
  3. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thank you for taking notice and action! :)

4. Salvatore_Unity

Salvatore_Unity

AssetStore_Admin Unity Technologies

@RendCycle

Thank you for the feedback on our review system and greater transparency for assets.

We currently leave it up to the publisher how they want to build a community around their assets, but I am happy to bring this idea to our meetings and consider what it would take to support a feature that auto creates forum threads per asset.

Kind Regards,
    Salvatore

RendCycle likes this.
  5. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks for considering and replying to this suggestion! :)

In my experience using the Asset Store, most of the time I find it difficult to gauge whether the Asset I am interested in would meet my expectations by solely relying on the information already available in that Asset's Store page. So what I do is search for more information by checking the Unity Forum and/or other websites for more feedback from actual Users/Customers of that particular Asset. Sometimes I find threads made by the Asset Store Publisher themselves but other times threads were created by other people in the form of either question or a promotion (maybe they are a friend of the Publisher or they just want to gather opinion/feedback from other Customers) especially if they have more questions and has no choice but to ask other Customers aside from the Publisher (this usually happens when they need to get quicker answers).

Having a system, like the Unity Forum, to directly and automatically create an official thread for an Asset and be included as a link from an Asset Store's page would be easier for everyone. This would be the easiest honest solution for interaction between Publisher & Customer and Customer to Customer so I hope others won't also just post questions on an Asset's Store's Review Section or before purchasing still take time to look for the website of the Asset Store Publisher that usually the Publisher controls the content themselves and can choose which to answer/hide/show/ignore. By having at least a dedicated Unity Forum thread per Asset, Unity becomes the mediator for the initial content which, I can see, will help provide more truthful/honest information. This can be the first step for Unity to show that they also have interest in protecting their Customers as well as making the experience of shopping in the Asset Store more easier. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018