Search Unity

Question Required to Buy Unity Pro

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Deleted User, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello

I am a new developer and i will soon start making a game with unity but i saw that i have to buy pro if i make more than 100k euro in 12 months.
    What happens if i don't upgrade?
    Unity will sue me? My account will me suspended?
    Thanks

2. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

This is not a problem you are going to have as a new developer. The 100k is based on using unity to generate that income over a year period.

So if you did generate that income with the work done in Unity then you would need to upgrade the license else you would be in violation of the license terms and unity could take action against you.

Ryiah and DevDunk like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just to expand upon this answer a bit this is only the case for an individual that is not providing services to a third party. Once you start providing services to a third party the amount you take into consideration is the amount the third party makes. If you plan on taking on contracts be sure to factor in the cost of a license.

https://unity.com/legal/editor-terms-of-service/software

4. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

So let's assume I created something. Steam charged me $100 for publishing, and from that point on, I'm not distributing it. So who are we charging 100k per year from at this point?

I am asking because tax in my country is calculated differently then. If I distribute the game myself, I pay like a company, and if I distribute by Steam, I pay like for copyright.

Does the Unity license apply in the same way? That is, if I distribute myself, the 100k applies to me? And if I publish via Steam, because this company earns more than 100k, it must be the pro version of the Unity?

5. DevDunk

DevDunk

If the entity selling makes 100k, that either being you as an individual or your company, you need Unity Pro

6. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

Too much Christmas cheesecake must have turned my brain off. Everything is clear.