Search Unity

Requesting download size & pre-downloading(caching) remote groups?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by MaskedMouse, Jun 22, 2018.

1. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Will there be some API to use that will check the size of the asset you might be trying to download?
    Like I'd want to know how many bundles need to be downloaded and how much data that will be so I can prompt my user for confirmation to download the bundles. On a mobile platform that would be a mobile data friendly thing to do instead of burning through their data.

Also will there be a way to cache an entire remote group that consists of several smaller bundles? That way you could download remote updated content and make sure that all critical content is locally available before using it (instantiation / loading into memory).

2. PaulBurslem

PaulBurslem

Unity Technologies

Not currently, though this could possibly be supported by storing size information in the IResourceLocation.Data field. Currently that field is used to store asset bundle cache info (crc & hash). This structure could be expanded to contain file size as well with a minimal amount of effort. I'll go ahead and add it to our tracking system as something to investigate.

optimise likes this.
  3. Allan-Smith

Allan-Smith

This would definitely come in handy... we used to have a very... "hacky" system that we ourselves cached the sizes of asset bundles at build time, and when downloading we would refer to a dictionary to find the size of all the bundles beign downloaded and use the percentages to estimate how much was downloaded or not... I mean, it worked, but was a lot of work for such a basic info... would be useful if Unity did this size caching itself, would make life much simpler

4. NWalker_FGOL_Ubisoft

NWalker_FGOL_Ubisoft

+1
    Addressables are not production-ready without it as iOS requires this info for all new content downloads.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#minimum-functionality

(iii) If your app needs to download additional resources, disclose the size of the download and prompt users before doing so. Existing apps must comply with this guideline in any update submitted after January 1, 2019.

5. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Oh wow I did not even know that Apple had actually changed their guidelines for this.
    Thank you for the heads up. I wanted this functionality to make it "User Mobile Data Friendly" but this makes it an actual requirement!

NWalker_FGOL_Ubisoft likes this.
  6. Allan-Smith

Allan-Smith

wow that is good to know... thanks for pointing it out, one more reason to get sizes as part of the system!

7. mahaiting

mahaiting

+1

waiting for the new address system.

8. unity_bill

unity_bill

Thanks for pointing out the new Apple requirement. I've added this to our task list.

9. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

Any update on this topic ?? I know that we can now get the PercentComplete from the IAsyncOperation but how we can know the size of the asset bundles ?? (I am using the 0.5.3 version)

10. unity_bill

unity_bill

That'll be there in the next release or next+1 (almost certainly next).

-Bill

11. Totoro83y

Totoro83y

Are there updates about this?
    I'd like to substitute a simple tool I made to update game data with addressables, but I can't without this feature.

12. CharBodman

CharBodman

Totoro83y and unity_bill like this.
  13. Totoro83y

Totoro83y

CharBodman likes this.