Search Unity

Requesting documentation on the Unity save file format

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Joshex, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Joshex

Joshex

Hi, I know the .unity3D file format is proprietary and not open because of potential hackers, but the .unity file format is just a save file.

I would like documentation on the .unity file format, for example what information is recorded in the header? in what order?

where are models, lamps, cameras, armatures, lattices, materials, textures, UVs, rigging, animations, and sounds etc. saved and in what format? how about scripts?

is there an end file footer? whats in it? in what order?

What will I do with the info? I plan to make a direct export script from blender to unity transcoding things like logic bricks and physics settings to a C# script document. to make it a lot easier to develop in blender and import to unity for the final touches and main scripting (and publishing).

I really hope I can get this documentation and I don't have to get it manually.. that'd be a chore to get it in a hex editor.

2. Baste

Baste

The .unity file is in plaintext by default. You can just open it in your text editor of choice (like gedit or notepad++).

It's a very simple yaml file - it's got quite a bit of data on the top with rendering and navigation data if relevant, and then just a list of all of the gameobjects, prefabs, and components in the scene.

The .prefab format looks exactly similar.

Antypodish likes this.
  3. Joshex

Joshex

wow, I never expected it to be that simple.
    Thankyou for showing me I was over thinking this lol.

I'll make a nice python script for exporting. and when I'm done I'll release it public just in case people prefer to model in blender.

4. harryr

harryr

Unity Technologies