Search Unity

Question Requesting assistance with understanding ARCoreFacialExpressionSettings

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by azevedco, May 4, 2022.

1. azevedco

azevedco

Hi there,
    I'm currently modifying the settings in ARCoreFacialExpression settings to improve eyes closed detection on Android.
    Here's a screen shot of the package versions we're using for AR/XR:
    upload_2022-5-4_8-32-14.png

We've noticed that if the user tilts their head a certain way or like wise with their device (which i'm sure the system assumes the user is tilting their head) it may assume the user is closing their eyes even though their wide open. It looks like there are settings that could assist with these sort of situations, Maximum Head Angles, but i've tried modifying these values and haven't noticed any difference. Is there an extra step I should consider here? I basically want it to check for eyes closed expressions when the user is looking straight at their device.

upload_2022-5-4_8-31-17.png

If there's a link to documentation on this one too, i'd definitely appreciate it. Been having a hard time looking around for it.

And I might as well through it out there, but if there's any general settings anyone is aware of that covers a broad range of users for detecting eyes closed that they could share, that would be amazingly helpful.

Cheers,
    azevedco

2. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hey there!,

Unfortunately with Face tracking is a matter of trial and error; I would suggest you to start tweaking the eye thresholds so the app doesnt detect as a closed eye when tilting the head.

Being said that; there is a scene under
    com.unity.mars-ar-foundation-providers/Runtime/Calibration/
    called
    ARCoreFaceLandmarksCalibration.unity

You might want to check that out to quickly assess how your thresholds are. Hopefully this will help out! :)

3. azevedco

azevedco

Hi jmunozarUTech,
    Thanks for the response! Ah so do the Facial Expression Event Thresholds correlate to the tilt of the user's head? Such as when it's safe to start detecting certain expressions?

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look into the ARCoreFaceLandmarksCalibration scene.

Cheers!
    azevedco

4. azevedco

azevedco

Just attempted opening the scene and got the following message
    upload_2022-5-5_10-35-25.png

Is there another way I should go about opening this scene file?

5. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

You can drag the scene into the hierarchy to get around this issue, or copy it into the Assets folder.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  6. azevedco

azevedco

Creating a copy into my assets folder did the trick.
    Not too sure what I'm looking at in the scene here, looks like there are some missing materials.
    I'll dive in to see what I can learn, cheers!

jmunozarUTech likes this.