Search Unity

Request: Using custom geometry for terrains

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by huxley, Apr 14, 2014.

1. huxley

huxley

I know that this has been suggested before, but I'm really needing the built in Unity terrain engine to accept custom geometry. Currently the only way that I can place trees with culling/billboarding requires me to hand paint a unity terrain under my custom geometry. needless to say, this is VERY time consuming, especially when trying to place grass/rocks at a ground level.

There are several work-around solutions which have appeared in the asset store, which allow you to place objects on custom geometry, none of them utilize a billboard culling system like the built in Unity terrain solution does. This is must for optimization playback.

The Unity terrain does everything else so well, it seems odd that this seemingly simple addition has been left out.

2. sebrobitaille

sebrobitaille

The forums are not the best place for feature requests, your better off posting on the feedback page here. But I agree with this would be a useful feature for map makers.

3. huxley

huxley

Haha, considering voxel terrains has 4x more votes ATM I doubt my request is that practical! Thanks for the link, count my votes added!

4. sebrobitaille

sebrobitaille

What you could try is making a height map from your mesh and then add it to the terrain. Not a very good work around, but it might work ok in some situations.