Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Request: Upgrade to “Mirror Objects” - Includes example image for new options dialog

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Grimlock_Arts, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Grimlock_Arts

Grimlock_Arts

Mirroring objects in ProBuilder is a bit aggravating, especially when you select multiple objects. I think you guys can further refine the tool to speed up its use. Here’s a few suggestions,

1. Add an individual mirror button for each axis.

2. Add an option to “Mirror multiple objects as one”.

I’ve attached an image to help illustrate what the new mirror options dialog would look like. I also included an image of what happens when we currently try to mirror multiple objects at once, essentially they just explode.

Attached Files:

2. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Just curious...are you wanting the multiple meshes to be automatically combined into one mesh or?

3. Grimlock_Arts

Grimlock_Arts

No, I was just prototyping a design so I had lots of small parts, you can see a few didn't match exactly in the screenshot. I was trying to mirror them all at once but they were flipping in all sorts of directions based on their own individual orientation in the world (several had been mirrored and rotated). My suggestion was to allow the objects to mirror as a group not based on their individual orientation. Also having quick buttons in the dialog as well as coloring the axis names would be super helpful (see image).

EDIT: I haven't found a way to reset an objects orientation to the world (without it rotating back to it's original position). Just getting it's local axis to switch back to match the world would solve part of the problem. I could do that before mirroring and as long as they shared a common pivot they'd probably stay together.