Search Unity

Request to change Unity tutorial page layout (for Moderators)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Moderators,

I hope you read this information. This feedback needs to go to the Unity team. It's not for you.

1 - Change contents in https://learn.unity.com/tutorials so that at least 50-70 are displayed all at once.
    2 - Separate tabs if not troublesome to redesign website. Separate for beginners & intermediate category.
    3 - I notice that a few beginners tutorials are at the very bottom. Some are mixed together where most of the intermediates are found. EVerytime I exit a tutorial, I need to keep clicking "Click for more" and it's a bit of a delay.

I'm making this request because the tutorial I followed didn't give very much information on what I was doing. It focused more on HOW to get things done. So to fix the damage, I have to re-study and understand the syntax and whatever keywords were being taught in the tutorials. This will take some time. Please try to improve the tutorial page soon. It would be greatly appreciated.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

The moderators don't have anything to do with the Learn section.

Because they're moderators.

Also, honestly, given your issues with tutorials everywhere online, I'm pretty sure the problem is more on your end, as you have shown a lackadaisical attitude toward actually paying attention to what's being taught, both from an overview perspective and from a detail related one. You should be studying and taking in what you read in the tutorials. That's the idea. That's how you learn.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. This is why the "Level" filter was made. If you're a beginner, then just select the beginner tutorials, and wow, magic, only the tutorials intended for beginners will be listed.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Your comment is unnecessary. I'm saying it's not properly sorted. I didn't say it's wrongly labelled.

6. There is no "sorting by level" option on the entire site. This is what I'm saying. You need to filter by level. But you're too hard-headed to grasp the idea.

Filter:
    upload1.PNG
    Sort:
    upload.PNG

Or just use this link: https://learn.unity.com/tutorials/?k=["lang:en","sl:beginner"]&ob=recency

MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

No, you don't understand.

They have nothing to do with the Learn section. If you want to make a post about the Learn section, which you just did, that's all you have to do. To add to this, the moderators are not waiting on your beck and call either. You would know this if you did any of the things I've said you don't do.

You say this about everyone who points this out to you. Your idea of "rude and wrong" amounts to "was not nice enough to me when they pointed out how I was being unreasonable." Also, I've read the tutorials. I've read a lot of the tutorials in the Learn section, in fact, and they're probably the one good thing about the redesign because they force you to actually have to pay attention to what you're doing.

So there's an entire thing on wikipedia about what you're doing here. upload_2019-8-29_22-20-33.png
    Who are these people? Why are you the only person we see actually complaining about these things if there are so many people affected by this?

I'm saying you, quite specifically, have a habit of ignoring advice, skipping steps, and making assumptions. Remember your thread about how Transform.forward had some sort of bug in it that you never actually elaborated on? A bug that would have affected a massive amount of Unity projects? Because you did the same thing there.

If you are going to use tutorials, you need to be able to teach yourself. They are guides, not dogma.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

This. Feedback is to be done through the forums with the feedback tag. Since that is precisely what has been done with this thread there is nothing more to discuss or do.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-future-of-unity-feedback.633241/
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/205692319-How-do-I-submit-feedback-about-Unity-

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I understand your point but the QA team did say they are monitoring this sometimes. So all i'm hoping is they (QA team) can find the right team to improve this when the opportunity arises. You must think properly : SOMEONE is inserting the contents so I'm just pointing out that if it's well sorted, it's easier. If they ultimately don't bother, I'll just bookmark what i need. That's what I'm already doing. There's nothing wrong with making a suggestion right? Think about it.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know these are guides. that's why i checked the internet before posting things here. In another thread, another person took offense and stated i'm asking them to do it NOW. I'm only putting suggestions / reminders despite whatever tone / words you / they are using. I'm not sure why that person wants to take offense. This thread is for discussion. I don't remember giving anyone instructions.

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's literally the second sentence in the first post.

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Not the place for this, also use feedback tags for feedback

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
  14. WTF? Are you for real? :O

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

What do you think? I think my words "rude" in the earlier comments should be changed with the words "unfriendly" - for you and everyone else. I think that's a more suitable word.

What is "wtf"? does it mean "what the f***" or does it mean something else? Please clarify.

I've already sent my suggestion to the QA team. I think they are more friendly than all of you. I'm not happy with the comments you guys have.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

17. Yes. It means what you think it means. I guess.

Well, if everyone is coming in the wrong direction on the highway, you should think about maybe you're going in the wrong direction. But whatever, I don't expect too much from you based on your previous threads.

Too bad.

And what do you think they will tell you when you ask them to load all the ~200 tutorials on one page just for you to not click the "next" button (in this case it's "load more", but same function)? And this 200 is the free, beginner-only, English tutorials only.

You're doing it wrong. But whatever, you never listen, so whatever.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's not me who's wrong. It's the team who designed the webpage. Is there a problem with asking them to try improving? You're taking offense at the wrong person / thing. Where I'm concerned, your good point is only being somewhat proficient with Unity. You are not open minded to new ideas. THAT is the real problem. If after they listen and check and they don't improve, then I won't bother because I've done my part. I don't need your opinion to make a suggestion.

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

Don't you ever wonder why nobody agrees with you?

20. iamthwee

iamthwee

They prolly won't react to it, even though the learn section is a true nightmare to navigate because they must have invested a S*** tonne of money and effort in the current pages.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Murgilod,
    So what if others disagree? I'm entitled to my own opinions. I don't know why you bothered getting involved when you are not able to suggest anything useful.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's understandable but I already sent them some feedback and I'm willing to try. If it doesn't work, I'll be quiet. That's all. No harm trying right?

This is the explanation all the others should have given. But may I ask : how did you know this?

23. iamthwee

iamthwee

I don't . . . it's an intelligent guess. Any redesign would be require paying web devs / database restructuring /organisation which incurs a cost. Sadly whom ever was in charge of mapping out the 'user journey' didn't pay attention to the old one.

Or they may have done it explicitly for other reasons (monetisation for the paid version - UT is after all a business). Either way, it's speculation from my end. I'm pretty sure those in charge have seen the complaints the learn section is getting. But don't hold your breath on anything changing - in the immediate short term at least.

Personally, I thought your OP was well written and polite, just tagged it in the wrong section etc.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  24. Ryiah

Ryiah

Up until you start presenting them as facts. Ironically a few months back I would have agreed with you concerning the new learning website, but the search feature with it's filters is very competent now. If you're struggling to use it I would question how you manage to use the web in any real capacity. If you can create an email address, create a Unity account with it, and post here you can use that search. Game development is all about problem solving. If you can't figure it out you're doomed.

Just as an example if I wanted to learn scripting I enter that in the search bar. Second link, Beginner Scripting (2h:45m), is the same basic tutorials we've had for years. Third link, Beginner Scripting (7h:00m), has a few projects like Roll-a-Ball.

upload_2019-9-1_12-50-31.png

Have you read their other threads? The general premise of the past few threads has been "I failed to learn anything with the resources available to me therefore it's the resources that need to change" and I feel like the OP carried it into this thread too with their last paragraph. If it hadn't been for that paragraph I would have agreed with you, but instead it feels like I'm reading a passive aggressive response from them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

My premise is I have already tried and I don't find the tutorials to be complete. For your information, I already tried the roll a ball tutorial and it doesn't work on my device because they forgot to insert the touch screen tutorial together. So it only works on the computer. That's the purpose of this thread. So now you tell me. Am I being unfair, can't follow the tutorial OR are the tutorials really incomplete? I will stop here

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well whatever it is you are the only one in this thread who at least offers a possible answer and sound more positive than the others.

iamthwee likes this.
  27. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I would wager that its you being unable to follow the tutorial not the tutorials being incomplete, given that many many users come here all the time and your the first in a long time to have this much trouble with literally every single resource. So I wager its the way your using the resources rather than the resources themselves.

FYI The same tutorials I learnt the engine on are still on the website and work-able today so you cant claim its the resources. I use unity for my job now in a senior level engineering position, so the resources really are enough to get you up and running IF you make an effort to use them properly.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

ok. In that case, can I open a new post in the support, give you the link and let you download my project? Are you willing to help on this? I'm having problems with a gettouch.input in the unity link. Let me know if you don't have time.

29. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks for the compliment :D I definitely agree in that I think I'm awesome.

Deleted User likes this.
  30. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No, Sorry but I am not unity support and I definately dont have time to be downloading your project, I have a day job. I suggest you contact support + post a thread in the proper forum section if you want help

Deleted User likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for the honest reply.

32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

We are done here. Closing.

xVergilx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.