Search Unity

Request: Proper basic tools for timeline

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by LediiSarepta, Jun 27, 2019.

1. LediiSarepta

LediiSarepta

Hi. I'm not sure if this is already in the works or not. But I would really like to have some proper tools for timeline. Some basic video editing tasks, like cutting, moving clips or navigating frames is currently rather tedious.

This is the current workflow required just to split a clip:

1. Copy the clip i want to cut.
    2. Place a duplicate clip (new clip) on another track below.
    3. Drag the end of the new clip past the end of the old clip.
    4. Drag the start of the new clip to the snapping point of the old clip.
    5. Drag the entire new clip back up to the correct track again.

It probably needs to be abstracted so that each type of custom clip can handle the event how ever they want. But here are a list of basic editing tools that I would like to see introduced in the future for timeline...

Basic cut:
    - Single click somewhere on a clip, will split it there. And essentially more or less save me from having to do the steps mentioned above.

Basic merge / nesting:
    - Allows you to lock two clips together the way they currently are arranged. Preventing moving them by mistake.

Navigation markers:
    - Along with new buttons and hotkeys, allow you to jump quickly between specific frames you are interested in.

Base class(es) for MixerBehaviours:
    - A better base class to override specific types of tracks. The common things getting repeated for every timelines as far as I have tested is...

1. Take a backup of values before the graph starts affecting anything.
    2a. Set data on the current frame.
    2b. Lerp clip data. Multiply effect of the clip based on the in/out ease period.
    2c. Blend clip data from multiple clips.
    3. Restore backed up values to the components affected by graph when it is destroyed.

Would be nice with a base class extension available to just let these be available so that you can start working on the actual logic of the clips right away rather than going through a huge copy paste procedure to get this set up. I have already tested something like this, and it seems to be doable. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about the timeline system can implement it in a much smoother way than I accomplished.

Apart from that, I really like the timeline, and look forward to its future. :)

dursteric likes this.
  2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback.

A Split can be done by placing the playhead over the clip where you want the split, right clicking and selecting 'Editing->Split'. This will turn one clip into two, and make the adjustments to clip-in and duration as appropriate.

The only caveat is it does not work correctly if you try to split on a blend. It does work with multiple clips, and you can use the right click menu on the playhead to select all intersecting clips.

The rest of the features you mention are on our radar to varying degrees. One reason we added markers as a base for Signals, was so the UI could have things like navigation markers, snap points, etc....

3. LediiSarepta

LediiSarepta

Ok, i was not aware of this split feature. I will definitly check it out. Thanks.