Search Unity

[Request] Patch releases and earlier unity versions

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Johannski, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Baste

Baste

This is good! This was the core thing missing from the Hub.

I still think you could've managed to include all the versions in an easy-to-browse way, but needing to download an old version that you don't have a project targeting is very much a corner-case - mostly for figuring out when a regression happened or in case a third party supports a very specific Unity version. Could you perhaps add a button in the installs list that links to the archive? Then all bases are covered. Something like
    upload_2018-8-28_11-48-20.png

That's not critical, but I think it's a slight improvement that should be easy to make, not confuse anyone, and help some outliers.

leni8ec likes this.
  2. mikelortega

mikelortega

How do you "Open the editor installation file with the hub and download and install through the hub"?
    I'm trying to find this option in the Hub 0.20.1 and cannot find it.

I have yet to find a way to use Unity Hub to use exactly the same Unity version with other teammates.

3. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hi @mikelo,
    You should see a rollout of the new installation files on the website in the coming weeks.
    Thank you for your patience

mikelortega likes this.
  4. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Does this mean patches are coming to hub? Coming weeks.... it's been a couple months -- Does this mean is it out now on hub?

Will it auto go to latest patch? Or do I have to explicitly enable it somewhere?

5. twobitbela

twobitbela

I don't yet see a way in the hub for it to detect and download the unity version a project was last worked in. And due to the frequent hotfixes in the last month, we've now upgraded unity 5 times.
    The situation is something like this
    Hey Arthur, I updated to 2018.2.9f
    A week later - Hey Bela, I haven't looked at the project in a week and I don't see 2.9f in the hub, so I'm going with 10f
    A week later - Hey Arthur, I haven't looked at the project in a week and I don't see 2.10f in the hub, so I'm going with 11f
    repeat.
    I like the idea of the hub, but it either needs a way to download and install the version a project is using, or it needs a list of older patch releases for someone to choose from. The idea that someone would be able to handle working on a building a game in Unity, but would be confused by having a list of older patch releases is kind of ridiculous.
    Yes, I could just download 12f1, and then tell unity hub where it is. But I do like what unity hub is and can be, and I want the installs to be managed by unity hub.
    This is kind of annoying right now.

MrLucid72 and thibouf like this.
  6. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

YES! You just won this thread. That's exactly what we recently experienced.

We're on Unity 2018.2.x, but 2018.2.y was JUST released. I had no option to get 2018.2.x, so I had to fiddle on the archive website to find it -- it's not even that old. Please have a dropdown for previous versions~ it's just not useful in the current state.

Then even simply trying to catch up on my laptop -- I was 1 version behind, so I went to upgrade -- but the Hub shows TWO versions ahead. The one I wanted was in between and out of reach, even thought it's still new~ Very inconvenient considering what Hub was made for.

7. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi everyone,

The changes to include the "Download with Unity Hub" on the Editor download archive are now live
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

We support every update as far back as Unity 5.6.0 and will continue to include this link with every new update moving forward. Please give it a try and let us know if you have any issues.

We hope this help address some of the immediate concerns and makes installing missing version via the Hub more streamlined.

Thanks for your patience,
    Daniel

P.S. We realize this does not address all of the use cases. We still need to scope out the work required to implement the 'missing Editor' detection feature when loading a project.

gtzpower and mbbmbbmm like this.
  8. mbbmbbmm

mbbmbbmm

Phew, this is a bit better than before... Now it would be cool if you could consider having a button to "Open Download Archive in Browser" in the Hub. That way it would be clear to newer/less technical users that this is something extra that normally is not needed while still being able to find it easily e.g. when a teammate tells them to update to a specific newer (but not the newest) version. I meet a lot of experienced and unexperienced users and the reaction to the frequent minor updates / rebranded patch releases and inability to synchronize versions through the Hub is negative across the board.

HoneyButterAlmond likes this.