Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[REQUEST] Looking for good German, French & Italian Word Lists

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by tedthebug, Aug 4, 2017.

1. tedthebug

tedthebug

Hi all,
    I've been away from the forum for quite a while, study has become busy unfortunately. As our final project we are developing a word game that is in closed alpha atm. Currently it is only in English but we'd like to also put out a German, French & maybe Italian version.

My main issue is that whilst we have found a pretty awesome free English word list I haven't been able to find any list for the other languages. I have contacted the dictionary companies via their links for commercial quotes but despite numerous attempts they haven't responded. So that's why I'm here, to see if any of the awesome people on this forum could point me in a direction that Google hasn't been able to find for me. It doesn't need to be an official Scrabble dictionary but the more comprehensive the better (& the less complaints I get from testers). As an example our current English list has 390k words in it.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

2. Cherno

Cherno

I don't know what exactly a "word list" is and I also don't know what a "word game" is, something like a crossword puzzle? What kinds of words are you looking for?

3. tedthebug

tedthebug

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't notified of one & have been in mad crunch so wasn't checking.

It's just a big list of words, sort of like a dictionary but we don't need the definitions, that we can check the players input against

4. LMan

LMan

I think you're looking for a lexicon. I did a project involving document analysis with python a while back, and the NLTK package contained a massive lexicon with word lists and sentiment dictionaries ect. Being open source, I wouldn't wonder if there isn't a French and German version of the same thing.

If you look into document and text analysis, I'm sure what you're looking for is just a few clicks away.

FreeFly90 likes this.
  5. tedthebug

tedthebug

awesome, thanks for the info

6. FreeFly90

FreeFly90

Yup, if you look into the NLTK package list there is a ton of material you can download, including hundreds of corpora, lexicons and thesaurus (is the plural thesauri? uhm..). If you can't find what you're looking for there, here's a decent lexicon for the Italian language (word form spreadsheet). It needs to be fetched, but it can be a good starting point.

7. tedthebug

tedthebug

awesome, thanks a lot both of you

LMan likes this.