Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Request] Help with Smart Merge / Version Control Setup

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by jashan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. jashan

jashan

One issue I just ran into where I would hope Unity Hub would help is keeping Smart Merge working properly: I have had all paths in TortoiseGit and .gitconfig still pointing to an old Unity 5.4 installation that I have removed a while back. And up until today, I wasn't even aware that there was mergespecfile.txt

So, what I would hope Unity Hub could give us at some point in time:

Ask me what version control I'm using (e.g. Git, with TortoiseGit, maybe paths), properly adapt mergespecfile.txt on new installations and at least give me a warning when uninstalling Unity versions, or even better: Make sure that the configurations always have the newest versions of UnityYAMLMerge linked.

2. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

I have this issue too. Smart Merge doesn't work with Unity Hub due to different paths.

Edit: Apparently the preferred Unity version is in the correct path! I'll try this out later and report back on if it works.

Edit edit: On a second look, it's just me installing it through classic installer rather than Hub.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. dri_richard

dri_richard

One model that works well - and that Unity could adopt - is to separate out common tools from the Unity installations and keep them in a different folder. The smart merge tool is backwards compatible so I only need one copy on my PC. It wouldn't ever get uninstalled or moved, but it would be kept up to date. Similarly, I only have one cache server, despite having projects that use 3 different versions of Unity.

steego and jashan like this.