Search Unity

Request for Unity tutorial online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope the following is read by the Unity development team.

I think my title is clear enough. I made a quick check in the unity website - https://learn.unity.com/project/karting-template - and was not happy to see that the tutorials are outdated. Not only am I supposed to use some old version - 2018, it means the code would also be outdated. I am using unity 2019, so to be reasonable, I expect the tutorial to be using at least one of the 2019 versions. Unless someone knows the codes so well, it should be a version where the codes are reasonably up-to-date. That means, i can find codes using a simple google search if any errors are detected and don't have to spend too much time searching.

Update: I have found basic training in the unity website so this is no longer something urgent.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

What you believe to be reasonable isn't that reasonable. Creating a video tutorial series is a very lengthy process that can take months. Upgrading it won't take as long as creating it from scratch, but it will still take months unless only one or two videos need changing.

For starters, they would have to determine what changed followed by creating new content to replace it, recording new footage, verifying that everything was recorded correctly and there were no mistakes, editing the footage, etc. A single quality video could take weeks.

Finally to my knowledge there are only a handful of developers creating these tutorials. Unity would have to massively increase the staff they dedicated to creating these tutorials which would either take resources away from other aspects of the engine or would require them to start selling more and more courses.

Besides just think of it as a form of training. Using Google is a skill like all others and the better you are at it the faster the searches will become. If you decide to go professional you'll need that skill as the assistance you can get on the forums is only useful to a point and once you've reached that point it will be entirely on you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. HavenbrookStudio

HavenbrookStudio

Stop being so arrogant. "to be reasonable" ? nothing about what you have written is reasonable.

You're acting like the Unity forum is a support ticket system where you just ask for whatever you want (Hey Unity, upgrade the single project to 2019 just for me! I expect it to be up to date!)
    They already say on the asset store page it will be upgraded (We will be updating it in the coming months to add 2019.x compatibility) So why are you even posting this?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You really don't get how Unity versions work.

You should be on 2018.4. That's the current life time stable version. That's the version any tutorials will be built for. 2019 is currently tech releases. This means its only for people who already know what they are doing. You should not be learning on 2019.

So go download 2018.4. That's where you should be working.

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It is "code" not "codes". "Codes" are something you redeem for prizes or cheats. Code is what you write when you are programming or scripting.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't agree with you about arrogance. Bear in mind that a google search doesn't show any recent examples. I'm also not the first person asking for tutorials. You can make it sound terrible by using the words "just for me" but the Unity tutorials I am referring to was in the hub. I'm not interested to argue any further. [mod edit: watch your tone.]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2019
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

They ask me to always update to the latest version, so perhaps you can put a suggestion to them why the older one should be used. I've already had a few cases where java won't install because the version is old. Any suggestions to fix this would be useful.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm making whatever effort i can to follow the workable parts of the tutorial. For the remainders, I will google out what else I can put to try and learn what i can.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
  9. Antypodish

Antypodish

lets say scripts and scripting :)
    As of today, is 2019.2.1f1
    upload_2019-8-19_15-38-58.png

While I understand OP frustration, as other mentioned, it is not feasible to keep every resources updated and compatible with every Unity version. In the end, we got users with wide range of Unity versions and they may not be willing to update Unity for one or other reason. Hence staying on older version.

Same applies to any online learning resources. Or even Asset Store assets.
    So devs. unfortunately need go through all such hoops. Not only applies for Unity. But good thing about it is, once succeed on little things, it makes them more reach in experience.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I understand your point and I do realize from earlier posts, cost and time factor has to be considered. The tutorial I checked is a bit outdated but not totally. so if anyone can point to more recent tutorials, I will spend more time learning and less time asking. That's my objective.Ultimately I feel that if the unity team is willing to spend more time & money making more frequent updates, chances are I would not have posted this request. If we all have recent useful tutorials, everyone would spend more time trying instead of asking. Does anyone disagree with this?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2019
  11. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't know any. But if I were you, while wanting using this particular asset, I would jump to Unity 2018.4, as recommended on the Tutorial page. Alternatively, trying to study, how to make it work with Unity 2019. But that may be more advanced level.

May I ask, why you need Unity 2019, if you starting Unity dev journey? For you at this stage, any Unity would be good to start of. By the time you spend some, chances are, you will learn how to port to Unity 2019. Or you will learn, how to use relevant bits from tutorial, for your project.

You can keep multiple versions of Unity. Unity Hub can help you with that.

I disagree. The thing is, human being is so curious creature, will always find reason to ask. It will be just something different ;)

12. I do. You got the role of tutorials backwards. Tutorials are there to give you a taste of game making, not necessarily to use a given version of Unity. You need to get an overall sense how to do things when you work with Unity. And that's it. They aren't 100% source of truth. You are looking for the documentation if you want that (obviously usual bug-rate and miscommunication applies even there).
    And on the top of that, if you learn how to do things from video tutorials, you need to be adventurous enough to find out how to do it in the next version to be even an aspiring game developer. If you don't and you want everything on a silver plate, oh boy, you chose the wrong industry.

So instead of demanding version upgrades, you should download the proper version of Unity for the tutorial you carefully selected by the things you want to learn from them and go through with it, later you can explore how you can apply those in newer versions of the software.

BTW, no one is asking you to constantly update Unity versions. At least not across major versions. On the contrary, Unity usually is advocating for staying on the major version once you created your project and you don't have a heavy need for the new version. Game development again. Your needs, your choices, your effing game. Not Unity's. You really need to learn some independence and taking responsibility for your own things, your learning and your choices IMHO.

zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
  13. HavenbrookStudio

HavenbrookStudio

It literally says in the Unity asset store "We will be updating it in the coming months to add 2019.x compatibility"

So again, why are you posting this? why are you asking for them to update the asset in question when they have already stated they intend to do so?

That is arrogant. There are only two scenarios:

1) You read that they will be updating it to 2019 and want it now... not later.
    2) You didn't even bother reading that they will be doing exactly what you want them to do before coming to the forums and complaining.

So what is it? Were you unaware that they already plan on making the tutorial 2019 compatible.... or are you just being impatient and want it done sooner?

If this was regarding a different tutorial it might be different... but, as I've stated multiple times, you are literally coming to the forum and complaining, asking for Unity to do something they already said they will do.

What exactly do you want Unity to do? You're complaining about a non-issue. You want them to update the tutorial.... but they already had plans to do it before you even posted.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

@HavenbrookStudio please calm down. No need for such aggressive responses. Just unwatch thread, is much healthier :)

HavenbrookStudio likes this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

What you said not completely true. The QA team did ask to upgrade when i send a bug report. It's clearly stated in the e-mails. I will ask them about the 2018 version but they already stated I cannot downgrade. So do you have any solutions for this? If yes, then this issue need not be entertained any longer.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Since you're so smart and criticizing non-stop, let me ask you this question and let's see what kind of answer you can give. What kind of tutorial will you suggest or what kind of solution can you give since I wish to self-study? Are there any recent links you can give? Your reply will tell me if you're being reasonable or just good in criticising non-stop !! You can also share with others how you learnt Unity. (Now I'm waiting for your reply.)

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

Telling you there's a new version is not asking you to update.

Ryiah likes this.
  18. It's a shame that you have cut my answer. You really need the part which you dropped from it. Read it one more time, my solution is there.
    Responding to a bug report is not "constantly asking you to upgrade". It is your decision, you should know what you build. If you need certain bug-fixes, of course you need to examine the situation and decide if upgrading does worth it or not. No one is asking anything, they are telling you which version contains which bug-fix and if you want that, then you should upgrade, but again, it is your decision.

So, just recap: do your tutorials in the version it made for, and make your "real" project in the version you deem good enough for your needs. No one can or want to decide these things for you.
    There is no issue here.

MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

LTS is still on 2018.4 https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Tech is on 2019.2 https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Beta and alpha are off doing their own thing on 2019.3 https://unity3d.com/alpha/2019.3

In any case, LTS should be your go to version for learning. Tech is only if you need the newest features, and new features don't help new devs learn. You'll find most tutorials stick to the LTS versions (unless they are specifically showing off a tech feature). As a tutorial maker, its just too much work to be constantly updating for every tech release.

Ryiah likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

I should repeat what I told to the Unity bug team. Perhaps you don't know what happened that's why you are saying all this.

1 - Of course I know the decision to upgrade is mine, not other people's decision. (I'm smart enough to know this. You don't need to explicitly mention this.)
    2 - Of course new versions will have bugs. This is common sense.

When i originally used the 2018 version following an online course - not unity, I already noticed that some of the features were NOT there anymore. Later for no reason, my java just went missing and I couldn't create my .apk file. Please don't ask me why or how this happened. That's why when I asked the unity team, they said to upgrade. And when I did, i found that i COULD create the .apk file. But since they said going back to previous versions is not supported or possible, what woul YOU suggest the next best thing to be? Bear in mind that this is what the unity bug team replied in an e-mail, not some presumption I'm making.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Your earlier points were not cut off deliberately. I removed them because i didn't want the quotes to be too long. I already re-read them. Yes I agree with you and that's why I'm just asking - testing my luck hoping that someone knows recent links. I did not mention searching the internet for recent codes but I already did that and didn't find any. Of course if no one knows, we can only try new codes on our own. That's common sense that need not even be mentioned. If you didn't mention, I would have used that method.

HavenbrookStudio did not understand my point and started making all kinds of aggressive remarks - i consider them rude. So can anyone suggest if I can do anything else in the meantime? That would be nice. THAT'S part of the reason for bringing this whole thing up. Whether the unity team updates it by this year or if they are late is another issue for me.

22. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

What?

I was able to find a ton of recent and relevant examples using google in under a couple of minutes.

Maybe the problem is less to do with the content out there and more to do with your skill at using a search engine / willingness to do more than a quick surface level search.

There literally is a ton of stuff you can get to quickly through google and I am not sure how you were not able to find it or how you can claim "google search doesnt show any recent examples". Thats just not true.

Ryiah likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

OK very good. I used search under unity 2019 tutorial and got quite a few. But when i clicked they were saying use unity 5.x. That's bad enough. You may share what search keys you used. It might not appear as the first few but I expect the tutorial should be one of the latest unity versions.

24. Antypodish

Antypodish

LTS we both now that. But is not what Unity suggest, for anyone, who types into search engine "Unity Download". New starters will stil end up with 2019. At least is not alpha/beta anymore as was the case recently, because lazy Hub design.

angrypenguin likes this.
  25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Honestly, most of the basics haven't changed much from 5.x. I still have a few of my tutorials made with 5.x that are still valid today.

Yeah. Perhaps one of the more challenging things to learn for a beginner is that fully half of Unity's "suggestions" are rubbish.

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You say "would". Did you actually run into problems with the code?

The vast majority of the API stays the same between consecutive major Unity versions. I certainly wouldn't expect that a beginner tutorial from last year would have problems in the current version. And anything you learn with the 2018 version will still apply in the 2019 version.

Honestly, the basics have barely changed since I started using Unity with v1.6 back in 2009 or something.

27. Well, they moved out a ton of APIs into packages for one... So the tutorials are not 1:1 since then. This is what I was referring to "following the tutorial on the version it intended for and then discover how to achieve the same in the new version".

Antypodish and angrypenguin like this.
  28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Fair call.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

For @angrypenguin
    You won't know unless you try it out. OK since you think that the situation barely changed, you can try out the rolling a ball tutorial that is given in the unity hub. Some portions of the tutorial cannot be followed and I had to play around with Unity 2019.2.1 on my own to get the desired results. So what you are saying is definitely wrong. Of course you can use 80-90% but still for whatever else you have to play around with the new features to check how it works. Even minor things like percentage has to be changed when you used the new version.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have challenged @HavenbrookStudio for a reply and he can't reply. Let him show his character by giving a suggestion. Then from there, something useful can be seen.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  31. Antypodish

Antypodish

Please don't call wolfe from the forest, unless you want lead topic to be closed. Person's smart choice, is to not participate, if leads to escalating responses. I respect decision. I do also sometimes decide to not respond to posts, if I feel some form of anger, bad mood, or person is trolling, which could lead to derail, or introduce hate otherwise. And I know I can be argumentative. Stay with us on the forum for longer, and you will understand, how challenging is to keep threads healthy.

So please stay with topic, and don't try force others (must) to respond.

MadeFromPolygons and Kiwasi like this.
  32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Dude, not cool. Someone has decided not to respond to you after you had some tense interactions. This helps keep this place nice and friendly. The old "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Repeatedly poking a user who has chosen not to respond is bad forum etiquette. Just drop it and let things lie.

Socrates, wccrawford, Ryiah and 4 others like this.
  33. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I really dont think there is any place on this forum for trying to goad a user into attacking you.

They have made the mature decision to avoid this thread, so you can make a mature decision to stop trying to push them to join it again. What exactly are you expecting to come out of this, other than arguing and further derailment of this thread?

wccrawford and Antypodish like this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm asking him to show there are useful tutorials. How difficult can this be? if he has none, just say he has none. Then I won't argue. I am not the type who wish to pick a fight. I'm here to learn.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not the type who wants to pick fights. I'm just asking him to show useful tutorials. Anyway if you know of any, you can share it. I'm more than happy to use it.

36. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is patently untrue as you are trying to pick a fight right now.

37. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It could just be they happen not to have been here since yesterday. There's more to life than an internet forum...

Ok, cool. Download Unity 2018 and do the tute, and/or start asking specific questions to do it in 2019.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  38. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was just asking if he had links to tutorials. I don't consider that a fight.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have used unity 2018 and some features are missing. The QA team that got my report didn't deny that. They advised me to upgrade. So how to go to 2018? If you have answers, I'll be happy.

40. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Are you saying 2018 is missing features required for the 2018 tutorial you are following?

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I am in this thread now so this means people will be polite, civil and respectful to each other or they are removed from forum. Have a nice day everyone :)

(In response to reports)

42. Murgilod

Murgilod

You are pushing for a reply from somebody who does not want to deal with you because you keep picking fights.

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Decided to lock as the subject has reached a natural conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.