Search Unity

Request for Terrain/Polybrush: Scatter prefab instances on arbitrary surfaces

Discussion in 'World Building' started by aaronflippo, Apr 19, 2019.

1. aaronflippo

aaronflippo

Unity's mesh painting tools for terrain are pretty great, - but for our game, we need real game objects with mesh colliders on them.

Polybrush also has a nice prefab painting feature.... But it doesn't work with terrain.

I'd like to request some method of placing actual game objects from a list of prefabs onto a terrain (or other arbitrary meshes.)

2. Drazok

Drazok

I was also looking forward to this. The ugly workaround is to convert terrain to mesh, scatter objects and delete terrain mesh...

3. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

I would also like to request this

4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

We are looking into how we might make this workflow a little more seamless

Lars-Steenhoff and MattMurch like this.
  5. MattMurch

MattMurch

Has there been any updates on polybrush terrain compatibility? It would be fantastic if that was supported

6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Yup! Not quite there yet though. But that is one of our end goals. Working on a new painting system to support both tool sets

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

That sounds great, can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Since Gabriel mentioned here that you guys also will add Splines, I'd like to throw in the idea to also use splines for the scattering of gameobjects. I tried it on my own and figured I use it more and more. Not only for vegetation and fields (eg with multiple splines in parallel), but also for houses and other stuff. With splines you can easily adjust the placement. And size doesn't matter. It comes quite handy. You can check it out here in case you are interested. I created this only as a hobby, so a professional solution from you guys would be preferred.

The Unity terrains become bigger and bigger and populating them easily and fast with a proper toolset would be awesome :)

8. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Yup! That's also part of the plan. The splines work will mostly provide a unified foundation for spline editing across Unity. It would then be up to each team using them to add functionality on top of that. For us, we would be doing placements, defining regions, generating height stamps, and a lot more.

Definitely! I will take a look

Rowlan likes this.
  9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And please don't forget the pressure input from wacom tablets, so we can control size or rotation etc depending on pressure

wyattt_ likes this.
  10. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Of course! I have most of that set up already

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  11. Rowlan

Rowlan

That sounds very exciting! Can't wait to see that in action :)

12. Davidjsap

Davidjsap

@wyattt_ has there been any progress on this front? I know I certainly would love polybrush + terrain working

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. KYL3R

KYL3R

Any updates? Splines would be nice for fences. The Polybrush documentation says:
    "Note: Polybrush is not compatible with Terrains. If you would like to work on Terrains, use the dedicated Terrain tool instead."

and the newest version doesn't include anything like Splines or painting prefabs on Terrain... I have 1.0.2 and tried 1.1.0-pre.1 as well.

Edit: I will try out "YAPP" as it's free and supports splines + terrain. Sounds good for now.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/free-yapp-yet-another-prefab-painter-open-source-github.782483/

wyattt_, Rowlan and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  14. KYL3R

KYL3R

YAPP does the job. Quite polished Inspector Integration, even though I don't understand some settings yet. Sometimes my spline snaps on the wrong collider or the objects jump somewhere unexpected. However there is good documentation which I only skimmed.

In the end it does what I want. It places objects on Unity Terrain and even offers Splines to do so.

Rowlan likes this.
  15. N1warhead

N1warhead

Dang does the gameobject's just create along the spline right away or did you have to extend upon it? I could so use this for cliff placement for my game.

16. KYL3R

KYL3R

You can define the distance between gameobjects. Also you can have a pool of different GameObjects with configurable probability (similar to PolyBrush). "Automatic" will (re)spawn the GameObjects when manipulating the spline, "Manual" will only spawn them when you click "update" manually.
    Right now they just follow the Spline (some hover above the ground) but you can use the Physics Settings to simulate them falling onto the ground with a few clicks. The Spline-Points itself snap to the surfaces if you check "snap" in the settings. All in all quite powerful!

N1warhead likes this.
  17. Lepisto3D

Lepisto3D

Any news on this?
    I'm using polybrush currently but I wanna be able to use it on my terrain also. My world is a blend between terrain and objects to form the surfaces. I haven't found anything similar yet.

themorfeus likes this.