Search Unity

[REQUEST] Dark theme for Personal Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by publiweb, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. publiweb

publiweb

Hello everyone (specially Unity Developers)

Here I am requesting the Dark Theme for the Unity Personal Edition because this will help a lot of people that have eye diseases and gets hurts their eyes everyday more every time opening the Editor.

Please consider this because not only will stop hacks of the Unity Pro License, this will also stop the hacking of the Editor executable in an assembly level.

I don't care about the screen that says Unity Personal Edition, but the light ui is really ugly, please please let us choose, it is easy for you, you just have to put "enabled" the theme choosing combobox and its done.

Believe me that hacks will stop in almost 50% and some of the Unreal Engine 4 / CryEngine V users will come back just because of this.

Regards,

An Indie Developer that wants to help

Attached Files:

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

If people left because they didn't have a dark theme, I highly doubt they were serious about developing in the first place.

3. publiweb

publiweb

True, but Dark theme is important you shouldn't evade that.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

It is literally the least important thing.

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It really isnt. No-one is leaving because of it, certainly no developers that will make it through game dev if a theme is enough to stop them in their tracks.

It wont stop hacks of unity pro, people hack unity because they want to avoid paying simple as that. If you think dark theme going free will miraculously fix the piracy problem in software, then you are really kidding yourself.

If it hurts you that much, pay for the license or edit the styling yourself, theres already tons of posts explaining how to.

Also this thread has existed in 1000s of ways over the lifetime of this forum, so its sort of a very talked about topic already that doesnt warrant yet another thread so I would expect this post gets locked very soon, just to give you a heads up.

6. Here we go again. This is boring.

@publiwebhnventas
    - it is not "hacking", it is cracking
    - you're wrong, cracking and piracy won't end with the theme
    - your assumption that people leaving for UE4 and Cryengine just for theme is actually hilarious
    - you can almost be sure the theme-war will end with 2019.3 - if you like Unity you probably follow its development, the new editor UI system will make the plus-only dark theme
    - you really should not use the dark theme anyway it is bad for your eyes in general (except specific circumstances which I won't go in this time)

Ryiah likes this.
  7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Theme doesn’t matter. And Unity should understand that too and give it to everyone so we can stop having this discussion.

(And I think they sort of did that already in 2019.3? If I understand correctly you can freely edit all colors in the new theme)

8. Ryiah likes this.
  9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Closing.... for the reasons noted above as well as :
    1. Been talked about a thousand times, no point anymore, Unity is aware of peoples feelings on it.
    2. Theme color preferences are not critical, and are not remotely an eye health issue. If your eyes "hurt" you are doing something wrong and it has nothing to do with colors in the ui theme. A) too little screen space to matter, and B) that is not how eyes, monitors or light works.
    3. There are solutions available if you don't like the light screen.

Ryiah, frosted and HiggsB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.