Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Repository duplicated in the cloud

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Artificer, May 11, 2016.

1. Artificer

Artificer

Starting the morning and finding I now have 2 cloud repositories, MyRepository and MyRepository(1), in the cloud.
    The (1) repository has no history, the original has all my history.
    How did the duplicate occur and how do I delete it?

The only thing I did last night that might have caused this was potentially login to the good repository from 2 different computers with the same account.
    My main development PC was locked in on (1) and I had to download a fresh copy of the original to switch collaborate back to the good repository.

Another issue is that I have a Material folder that always downloads in a fresh copy but I always have to delete after the fresh download because it flags as different between the local and cloud copy. A clean download shouldn't have diff with the cloud. Might be related to the known folder rename/delete bug.

My team is currently on beta 16 but will be upgrading to 17 this morning.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Hi,
    Is it possible that you linked your project to the cloud using the Service Window for a 2nd time? When you link a new project with the same name on the cloud, it renamed it to avoid confusion.

For the material part I don't know, but you are right it might be related to the rename delete bug. We will investigate that issue.

but could you send us the local and remote file so we could see the diffs?

3. Artificer

Artificer

Are you able to download our BrokenBlue repository? You have my permission. If so, just download it and see that Collaborate asks you to commit Material changes from the damaged folder. You cannot revert from collaborate. The only fix is to go to the filesystem and delete the \BrokenBlue\Assets\BluesRoom\Models\Materials folder.

4. Artificer

Artificer

I had to re-log into Unity this morning on the PC that displayed the duplicate. I did this while still logged in on another PC. Both typically have the services tab up.

As a test I just did a clean download of the MyProject(1) project and found it is actually a new project with no history or assets. Only the main project name was duplicated.

When I created the main project I followed the beta documentation which had a "Start now!" button. This did not come up last night so I definitely did not knowingly create a new project link. If I wanted to do this on purpose how could this be done?

Another aspect of this is that the MyProject(1) only appears in my "In the cloud" folders and not anyone on my team so it's clearly a separate project. Where do I go to delete this?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. andyk-unity

andyk-unity

To delete a project, you can go into the project settings on the web dashboard, and at the bottom there's an "Archive this project" button. That will clear the project from your list. Not sure how you got into that state, I've got a few guesses as to what might have happened, but they boil down to "local project got unlinked/wasn't linked to an org, then got linked to the org where the cloud project already existed."

As to the materials showing as changed, what I'm assuming is happening is that they were uploaded in a previous version of unity, and when the current one gets them, it modifies the files to say it's a new version, and that's the change. I don't suspect there's an actual change to the files, just some metadata. That being said, it still is a bug because obviously that information isn't presented very clearly.

6. Artificer

Artificer

If this helps tracking this down, the material bug occurred after the team fully synced to the last beta and after the materials folder was moved to another location in the Asset tree inside the Unity editor.

A little feedback...
    1. There are no links within Collaborate to log into https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com so, in all the excitement, I didn't look there. I was able to go to my account and there are clearly shared assets between these two web pages but only logging into the developer account directly gave access to the cloud project management.
    2. Also realized immediately upon opening the developer web dashboard that all new projects since starting collaborate had been created "in the cloud" so this answers my question about how I could create a duplicate project "on purpose".
    After some testing I found that when a "New project" is created that turning analytics "off" kept the project local and leaving them at the default of "on" created the project "in the cloud".
    A further suggestion might be to make the implications of this choice clearer to future users.

All in all I'm really liking how collaborate is saving me time with a team of inexperienced GIT/SVN team members.
    Thanks for the opportunity to test this.

7. Artificer

Artificer

Ok, I think I see how the "New link" occurred. When my PC sleeps internet connection must be lost. Returning to the Unity window with internet restored the Services panel says... "ATTENTION: Unable to link project to Unity Services. Unity Project ID no longer exists or you no longer have permission to the Unity Project ID. You can continue with Unity Services by linking your local project to a new Unity Project ID. Button choices "Refresh access" or "New link...". I must of pressed new link yesterday morning (before coffee). Pressing "Refresh access" worked this morning.
    The take away from this might be to do an auto refresh when the Unity window becomes active after a sleep before suggesting the user re-link. But I acknowledge I should have tried refresh first.