Search Unity

Replying to 'dead' threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 121, May 8, 2015.

1. 121

usually gets them locked, but It wasn't dead, it was just 'dormant'.

The Unity user obviously wanted to continue the conversation.

It's like googling a specific problem regarding 3DS Max and getting 50% of what you need to know from a CGTalk thread, only to find you can't update with a crucial reply due to 'this thread has been locked due to being inactive for XYZ'.

You then have to start a new thread without that wealth of info already contributed in the unnecessary lock. How much server space can one thread take up already?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. delinx32

delinx32

I've often wondered that myself. Other than that, I have nothing to add at this time. I'll get back to you in a year or so.

ShilohGames and Ony like this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's not about server space, it's about encouraging new conversations. There's nothing wrong with starting a new thread, asking a new question, and linking to the old thread saying that it was helpful but didn't completely solve your issue or whatever.

On tech forums especially it's sometimes a good idea to deliberately cycle old threads out of active use because they might contain obsolete information. Plus, new threads are likely to get more attention to your question, so it's better for you, too.

Kiwasi, Ryiah and Socrates like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Go over to answers instead. There the point is to discourage new questions, and try to make the old questions as relevant as possible.

5. goat

goat

Doesn't matter really but it's best if you are trying to solve a problem to learn what you can from the locked threads and show some motivation and query for help in a new thread where active users will see it. Many active users looking to help others avoid reading or posting to very old threads as they rightly often associate them with gossipy type and such things and so you'll miss out on potential help. There is one thread in the forums 'After Playing Minecraft...' that goes on for pages.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

The point is often that any of the original contributors are long gone.

Necro bumping is semi acceptable if the problem is still current, the users are still around, and youre adding something useful to the thread.

7. Whippets

Whippets

I give out awards for epic necroing with bonus points if the reason for necroing is to advertise their own product.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

My stance is if the bump will mislead people ie with incorrect information or something that's no longer an issue, I'll lock it and would prefer it wasn't bumped. Anything still relevant with new information can be bumped fine, how old it is doesn't factor into it, it's about value.

And common sense.

9. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

the WORST bump is by the fool that complains a link is dead on a four year old thread.

10. cl9-2

cl9-2

Didn't somebody once bump one of the first ever forum threads, from 2005?

11. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

The only thread I won't lock that have been bumped are ones that provide new information or answers and are still relevant. A lot of the time reviving a 3 year old conversation is not productive.

12. Whippets

Whippets

I'm gonna reply to this thread next year

13. randomperson42

randomperson42

...And a year after that...

14. Ostwind

Ostwind

Just get some old thread warning addon to xenforo or make one yourself since its pretty trivial. I've used other xf forums where you have to press a button/checkbox before you can post in to an old thread.

15. Stardog

Stardog

I say bump if you're posting a solution because most people find the threads via Google and it would be useful for the top results to have an answer, even if the thread is years old.