Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Replay value in games: A questionnaire

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by KennethCamilleri, Jan 20, 2015.

1. KennethCamilleri

KennethCamilleri

What's your take on replay value? How would you rate a game's replay value by its game design characteristics? I am curious to create a mathematical model to quantify how certain game design elements can give games more replay value.

To do this, I've created a questionnaire for people to fill out. Can you game designers and gamers out there help reach my project's goals by filling this out? http://goo.gl/forms/AGLXrTp02E

To explain why I'm doing this, I am a 3rd year student attending a course in Creative Computing, and for my final year project, I want to explore how procedural content generation can increase replay value in games, but to do this, I need to quantify replay value first, with a grounded theory! Which means opinions straight from the gamers and game makers themselves.

Any of your opinions and thoughts are welcomed. It will do my project a great favour to fill out this questionnaire!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

They really need to make you guys do a Voice of the Customer course before they let you send out these surveys...

DanSuperGP likes this.
  3. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Filled out for you.

4. KennethCamilleri

KennethCamilleri

Interesting, just looked up what Voice Of the Customer is about. What brought this to your mind?

Much appreciated!

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its always on top of my mind, I'm a LEAN/Six sigma practitioner in my day job :). I know just enough about VOC to be dangerous. And to tell you its worth tracking down a statistician who is an expert on this sort of thing. Proper survey design can double the value of the data you get out of it.

I filled it out for you.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I started to fill it out, then stopped. "Two different reasons can't have the same rank"... and it's going to make me manually enforce that myself, and the instructions above the question don't tell you in advance that answers must be unique.

The questions and answers could also use some work. What does "a few hours a day" mean and how do I compare that to "occasionally"? How does "a few" compare to "several"? You're asking for objective data using subjective (or vague) words, which makes it very hard for an engineering-minded guy like me to answer them.

Also, I want an answer that's somewhere between "a few hours a day" and "occasionally", but that comes back to the wording being subjective - maybe to you "occasionally" means what I want to say.

Also, sometimes your answers don't seem to go together - for instance, the question about how people behave has one answer that boils down to "it depends", and thus isn't even actually an answer. (Perhaps you're trying to get two different bits of information - how people behave, and factors which determine that behavior - out of the same question?)

I'm not having a whinge, here. I say this in genuine hope that it helps! Survey writing is hard, and it's hard to improve anything without people giving honest feedback.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In my case I don't want replay value because I don't have time to actually play a game more than once. With things like steam, there's an endless back catalogue. If I had to talk about replay value, it'd need to be multiplayer.

MurDocINC likes this.
  8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

AndrewGrayGames and angrypenguin like this.
  9. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess it would depend on the game. A 30+ hour JRPG ill probably never play it again, but if its a MOBA I can replay the game hundreds of times.

10. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

.. uh.. i cant just put one game as most often played
    like i guess itd be call of duty, years ago.. but i dont think that really exemplifies replayablity

MOBAs SUCK BAD!!! .. i LOATHE them... lol idk.. theyre too popular for how much i hated playing it...

a couple 2
    few 3-5 always thought of it as three 3 ... not sure why exactly
    several 5-12 .... always thought of it as seven 7
    handful ... only used with things that fit in your hand...

but yeah thats just me i guess?.. i thought it was that way for everyone lol

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Filled out.