Search Unity

Replacing the controller model with a custom model for the Mirage Solo (with Daydream)

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by archivus, Jan 11, 2019.

1. archivus

archivus

Hello,

I am completely new to VR and Unity in general but looking at it for potential use in a research project, so am looking to see if some things are possible or not. My main concern are these:

1) I have a robotic arm (6 DOF) that I need to control in VR. So instead of having the controller show up in VR, I need it to be the robotic arm (kind of like the user is the robot themself and is seeing things in 1st person) whereby pressing a button on the physical controller in real life actuates the gripper in VR enabling me to pick up and drop things in VR. Moving my arm around physically should move the robotic arm and actuates its joints correctly. I've seen controllers being replaced by custom ones on various tutorials but none seem to be animated.

2) I actually have two robotic arms side by side , and need to be able to switch which one I'm controlling with a click of a button on the physical controller. I'd preferably want to use two separate controllers to control each arm separately but I've read that the Mirage Solo only supports 1 controller at the moment (Unless I'm mistaken)

If these things are possible, where can I find a similar demo to play with and study?

Edit 1: I've discovered Inverse Kinematics which seems to solve some of the worries I have.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019