Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Mesh In SkinnedMeshRenderer Causes Deformation

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by skalev, Sep 1, 2015.

1. skalev

skalev

Hi All.

We have a system to replace parts of a character in order to produce the effect of an outfit change.

All of our characters use the same rig, and the same avatar. The problem we are facing is a deformation of the replacement mesh that is assigned at either runtime or in editor, which only happens if we DO NOT have "Optimize Game Objects" checked. Below in the screen shot you can see 2 instances of the same model, with the same replacement mesh assigned. The one on the left is completely deformed, this is the one without the "Optimize Game Objects" checked. The one on the right, which has the option checked, works perfectly.

deformedmesh.jpg

I'd like to get some insight as to why this is happening, and what can be done (perhaps via script?) to make the non - optimized version work when replacing the mesh.

* By replacing the mesh I mean assigning a different mesh object onto the mesh property in editor, or into the sharedMesh property at runtime.
    * We cannot use the "Optimize Game Object" option, as it is unsupported by FinalIK, which we need to use in the project.

hersheys72 likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I think this is caused by the original character being setup as non-optimized, so the replacement meshes need to match the import settings of the original character mesh - either optimized or not.
    I'm not 100% positive about this, but I believe this was the solution which resolved a similar issue I encountered.

3. skalev

skalev

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, as I stated in the OP, all characters share the same avatar. You can only setup the optimization in the import settings of the Rig part of the original avatar, so when shared, there is no way to setup different settings.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yes - you are correct, my mistake.

5. yos_316

yos_316

I'm getting the same issue.
    Anyone had the same problem?

6. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

When I've run into this before, it turned out to be that the bone order for the mesh was different. Have you tried checking the contents of SkinnedMeshRenderer.bones for your different SkinnedMeshRenderers to see that the bones are in the same order for each?

7. skalev

skalev

Yep, It seems that the bone order is completely different, which must be the issue.

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

It's great you found the problem. Sorry I couldn't help, I couldn't replicate the problem.

@superpig What causes the bone order change and what is the fix?

9. superpig

superpig

From looking at the code, it seems we just use the bones in whatever order the FBX SDK gives them to us. I'm not sure why they're coming out in different orders for different models from your content tool. It might make sense for us to renumber the bones such that they're sorted in a consistent order, but I'm not sure - perhaps there are workflows out there which would be broken by that.

If you wanted the bones to always be sorted correctly, you could probably write an AssetPostprocessor script to modify all imported skinned meshes to do that.

10. skalev

skalev

@superpig - I'm wondering if re-numbering the bones will mean that we have to re-number the boneWeights as well to accommodate?

11. superpig

superpig

If you reorder the bones in the bones array, you'll need to process all the vertices to update the boneIndex values as well, yes.

I'd do it by building a Dictionary<int, int> that records the old bone index => new bone index mappings, then run through every vertex and just do boneIndexN = dict[boneIndexN] for each weight on each vertex.

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

@skalev - if it is the exact same rig how is the bone order changing?
    Sorry - there seems to be a little info that is missing - why is the bone order is changing? Is there an extra bone in the chain for the clothing, just for placement or something, but does not have any vertex influence?

13. skalev

skalev

The bones are the same. The order is different. The modeler is assuming that perhaps minor changes between exports change instanceIDs and causing the order to change.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. tsubaki_t1

tsubaki_t1

cicha09 and GenaSG like this.
  15. GenaSG

GenaSG

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator