Search Unity

Replacing characters at runtime while preserving richtext tags

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by CoraBlue, Feb 7, 2020.

1. CoraBlue

CoraBlue

I'm using links to tag portions of my text and 'scramble' them per frame, to create to appearance in-game as though the text has been redacted, or corrupted. Here is the relevant section of code.

for (int i = 0; i < dialogText.textInfo.linkCount; i++)
    {
    if (dialogText.textInfo.linkInfo[i].GetLinkID() == "Scramble")
    {
    var startingCharacter = dialogText.textInfo.linkInfo[i].linkTextfirstCharacterIndex;
    var endCharacter = dialogText.textInfo.linkInfo[i].linkTextfirstCharacterIndex + dialogText.textInfo.linkInfo[i].linkTextLength;
    for (int onCharacter = startingCharacter; onCharacter < endCharacter; onCharacter++)
    {
    string garbledTable = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ";
    var r = Random.Range(0, garbledTable.Length);

dialogText.textInfo.characterInfo[onCharacter].character = garbledTable[r];
    }
    }
    }

The issue I'm running into is that changing the characterInfo of a TMP object does not update the text contents. I'm unsure how to resolve this problem as linkTextFirstCharacterIndex ignores tags, making the use of SetText difficult. I want to change single characters post formatting at runtime. Is there a method for this?

2. CoraBlue

CoraBlue

I've discovered a solution which seems hacky and could be prone to breaking, but in case anyone needs a working version this was my solution.

var info = dialogText.textInfo.linkInfo[i];
    int startingCharacter = dialogText.text.IndexOf('>', info.linkIdFirstCharacterIndex + info.linkIdLength) + 1;
    int endCharacter = dialogText.text.IndexOf("</link>", info.linkIdFirstCharacterIndex + info.linkIdLength + 1);

dialogText.text = dialogText.text.Remove(onCharacter, 1);
    dialogText.text = dialogText.text.Insert(onCharacter, garbledTable[r].ToString());

Can I formally request a feature? It seems like we could greatly benefit from a linkTextfirstCharacterIndexRaw or linkTextfirstCharacterIndexUnParsed. It seems so much more intuitive and could be very easily implemented to the struct.

3. CoraBlue

CoraBlue

Here's the code in action, works (for now) even with other tags present.