Search Unity

Replacing Blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Desprez, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Desprez

Desprez

Anyone have any advice on good 3D modeling software?

I'm looking to replace Blender. I've given it a chance over the years, but it's just not for me. It's admittedly powerful, but I'm tired of fighting with it, and I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to make an interface that's worse than Dwarf Fortress. It's an absolutely infuriating mess.

1) For Mac.
    2) I don't use 3D often enough to justify spending hundreds or thousands of dollars per year.
    3) Typically, I'm building constructed or geometric parts (as opposed to organic)
    4) Often want high precision, symmetry, and specific numeric placement of objects.

What are your recommendations - and this is the important bit - why?

2. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Cheetah 3d might be an option for ya... Never used before though... If you find blender complex might be the same case. Tools you don't want/need.

Another option is Silo 3d. It hasn't had any updates for awhile and can be a bit buggy. But it offers a toolset geared towards what you want without the clutter. Give the trial a go.

3. Cgflux

Cgflux

I work in Blender 10 years and if you thin that interface is hard to understand you should try work with blender couple years ago. Now you can customise interface. Maybe you should try Wings 3d or Cheetah....

FreeFly90 and _GimbalLock_ like this.
  4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Depending on the complexity, and especially if you're not doing organic type models, you might even look at using ProBuilder and doing it right inside of Unity.

5. mariusz

mariusz

I left Blender for Houdini :) it's $200 per year for Indie.

Ad.1 - Yes, for Mac
    Ad.2 -$200 per year
    Ad.3 - everything is procedural, with nodes you can change anything you done earlier in creating model.
    Ad. 4 as above - procedural, expressions etc. etc.

But my only concern is about that interface thing... :) It's great IMHO but it's different :)

O and as for Unity there is a Houdini Engine for Unity, and with it, you can use Houdini assets in Unity,
    for simple example - draw a curve in unity and place stones along that curve. Change its size, spread
    and anything what was build in asset.

https://sidefx.com/products/houdini-engine/unity-plug-in/

or latest video showing automatic creation of low poly from hi poly, automatic UVmapping, and bakes:

6. Tiles

Tiles

Hey,

You could try my Blender fork Bforartists. Still Blender under the hood, but with a better and cleaner interface and usability :)

https://www.bforartists.de/

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017