Search Unity

Question Reparent player to networkObject

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Korthking, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Korthking

Korthking

I am trying to reparent the player into a networkObject's child (a car seat for instance).

I am doing this by raytracing from the player to the vehicle, and activate a "take control" script on the vehicle, which turns on and off stuff.

Now in order to actually do the reparenting I need to do this on the server, so in the vehicle's "take control" script I activate a ServerRpc to handle the reparenting with the client's local networkId.

I get an Error saying only the owner can send an ServerRpc with reparenting. What is happening here? I tried to move the reparenting ServerRpc and call to the method into the player's "interact" script, but the same issue comes up.

I don't have any of the code on this machine, but hopefully this is enough to get a general guide and workflow on how to approach this. If not I'll update this with the relevant code.

Some notes:
    At this moment, the networkObject I'm trying to reparent TO is already in the scene from start, and not spawned in after server start. I don't know if this can cause an issue regarding networkObjectId or spawnedObjectsList?

2. cerestorm

cerestorm

Might need to see the code and the full error, but it could just be a case of needing to use

[ServerRpc(RequireOwnership = false)]

if you don't have ownership on the object you're calling from.

Korthking likes this.
  3. Korthking

Korthking

Thank you for the quick response.

I'll post the error and relevant code when I get home from work.

I contemplated doing that, but avoided it due to believing it's bad practice. I may try this when I get home.

Bonus question: I see that someone reparents by calling ServerRpc, which gets the networkObject's networkId, then trigger the reparenting on ClientRpc. I haven't tried this, but wouldn't that also throw the error for only server being able to reparent?

4. cerestorm

cerestorm

I would have thought so but I've not tried it, I've only ever handled parenting on the server on object spawn.

Korthking likes this.
  5. CosmoM

CosmoM

Perhaps they were reparenting to the root (i.e. to null)? That is as far as I know the only reparenting that a client can do itself.

Korthking likes this.
  6. Korthking

Korthking

After trying around more, I decided to go with the tip of just disabeling ownership requirement for the ServerRpc

7. Nocazone

Nocazone

Hey, I had that problem too. I didn't disable ownership but instead of reparent a NetworkObject, I am doing this:
    Scene
    - I have a NetworkObject with a list of custom Prefabs that need to be instantiated (not the NetworkManager list)
    - I have a NetworkTransform LootBubble (Registered in the NW Manager)
    - The player is a NetworkObject and registered in the NW Manager (the player has bone object where I need to place the weapon)
    - The weapon registered has a number of the position in the custom PrefabList
    Runtime:
    - At collision with the Lootbubble i take read the position in the PrefabList from the weapon
    - On The server I instantiate the weapon and add it to the place in the PlayerPrefab as a child (ServerRPC)
    - Then i do the same on all Clients (Client RPC)

Maybe that helps you too