Search Unity

'Rent' to Use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AvGaz, Aug 4, 2016.

?

Who wants to 'rent' software?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. I do

8.3%
  2. I don't

52.8%
  3. I don't care

38.9%
  1. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm still trying to understand what it's supposed to do exactly. What is it supposed to do that it doesn't do now?
    It gives my models shadows, etc. It's in fact what I use now.

I bake my light maps, then it gives my realtime objects lighting/shadow info.
    What is the big mystery I can't seem to understand what else it's supposed to do.
    I glanced at the link, and still couldn't understand what else it's supposed to do.

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

Seamlessly blend baked static shadow shadow from the shadowmap with a dynamic shadow from any object that passes under mixed mode light.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wh...-going-to-be-fixed.332250/page-2#post-2552789
    Also see "Stationary lights" in unreal documentation.

3. iamthwee

iamthwee

Is mixed mode lighting going to be fixed? No.

Daft question but isn't that because enlighten is a third party baking solution and unity don't have the tools documentation to integrate it their dynamic lighting? Sounds plausible to me.

Or is this wrong?

Gekigengar likes this.
  4. N1warhead

N1warhead

@neginfinity : So pretty much the main complaint is: Realtime Objects should cast a Shadow onto the Static Meshes?
    So this way you can alleviate Shadow Casters from constant Realtime calculations from everything?

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is possible, but it is unknown whether this is true.
    If you check the thread you'll see that past the first page, there were no responses from unity. So, it is unknonw why it isn't implmented, why they don't have an alternative lightmapper, etc. Silence.

Yes, it is the way to have quality baked lighting and dynamic shadows on that baked lighting. The feature is pretty much expected to be present in any game engine by default.

N1warhead likes this.
  6. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

Here's the thing though, 1) there are free/cheaper alternatives to pretty much everything. those might not be as good or for you, but you'll have to bite the bullet sometimes either side. 2) the software is updated somewhat frequently(about 1-2 yrs). and you get that latest and greatest without having to pay another sum to get the new version/upgrade. 3) the overall model is cheaper for the users while benefiting the companies that make the software even if it does sound greedy. at one point i did some calcs on adobe software and to get your moneys worth was 3 years minimum on cs6, a really old software that probably isn't compatible with the current version. 4) you can cancel at any time as long as you didn't prepay for x amount of time. you know your not going to use software X for a few months? cancel the payment and continue when you need to.

yes I hate the rent only model as well and wish they offered at least both. but the benefits outweigh the feeling of another tax on your wallet.

7. Player7

Player7

jeez no wonder everything takes ages, its amazing you guys get anything done.

I'm sure the pro asset dev way is.. wow this area is sucks , Lets check their roadmap. Gasp ..

I really this need a better solution, looks like I'm gonna have to 'Roll my own'™ solution he®pde®p .. 5mins-1d-3weeks-6months ..welp looks like I have something better than Unity provides.

Yeah so do wee.. soo do we.

8. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

It currently exists in the editor somewhere; you'll have to find it! :)

9. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

10. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

yeah i hate that crap lol

and logins piss me off..

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016